Tell Me When We Were Supposed To Be More

Cas slowly walked down the line of books in the bunker's library. Now that he had his own grace back, he felt a little more like himself. He didn't feel the need to rest or do any of those other human things that had been nagging him while the grace that wasn't his gradually drained him. Which is why he wasn't taking the time to rest while the others did the same upstairs.

The evening had gone better than he had expected, even with Sam's warning at the end of the night. With his grace back he felt like he could provide further use to his descending friend and it him that sense of self that he had been missing for some years now. Dean had greeted him with a friendly hand on his shoulder and a warm welcome at coming back home that did something to Cas' chest. A good something, Cas decided. It was pleasant meeting the infamous Charlie Bradbury, so similar to Dean in many ways, but with a warmer and more innocent view on things that Cas appreciated.

It was the first time in years that all of them had been able to hang around a table, smiling, laughing, and actually enjoying each other's company.

"What are you still doing up?" Cas turned to see Charlie standing in the doorway of the library, wearing Star Wars pajamas and a glass of milk in her hand.

"I am an angel. I do not need to sleep." He commented in monotone, but then titled his head, destroying the impression of a stony demeanor. "Why are you still doing up?"

She shrugged and moved further inside, closer to him. "I'm more of a night person. Playing video games until well into the morning." Her smile was bright and Cas felt himself give a small smile in response. "Well, since we're both up, do you mind if I keep you company?"

"I do not."

Her smile widened, and it was a nice change to have someone respond so positively to his statements. He knew Dean and Sam enjoyed his presence his as well, but so often the two were so burdened with their own lives that they often didn't both to soften their expressions when speaking to their angel friend.

"Mind sitting down with me? It's kind of weird me sitting and you just standing there."

"I apologize." He sat beside her at the broad table.

"So," she started almost as soon as he sat. "Since we're best friends now and all," Cas was still confused as to how they had become best friends (surely healing couldn't be the only factor), but she was adamant about the fact and he didn't feel the need to resist. "I was wondering if I could ask a few questions that have been on my mind."

"I suppose."

"Right." She seemed nervous, which was not a personality trait that Cas figured she expressed often, but waited until it passed. "Well, you see, there are books..."

"The Supernatural books by Chuck," he guessed.

"Right. And well, those books write certain situations and characters, you guys, in a certain light." He titled his head, waiting for her to explain more clearly. When Metatron had downloaded different literary texts and pop references, the Supernatural books were added as well, though Cas found very little need for them. What he needed to know, he lived through, and any other information gleamed through those books would only anger Dean. "For example, yours and Dean's relationship."

He narrowed his eyes in thought. "Dean and I do share a profound bond."

"Yes, I know that. What I want to know is why you never tried to make it anything more." Her courage had obviously come to her. There was a determination about her that Cas couldn't find the reason for, but admired all the same.

"What do you mean?"

"Anyone who reads the books, and anyone who has seen of you two together, can see that you're meant to be something more."