❄5

❄5

     “This is ridiculous,” I breathe out, leaning over the railing.

            I peer down at the floors below me, the clink and ching of the machines melding together into one melodic clang.

            I watch as the machines churns, turning out small parts that end up traveling through tubes and assembly lines.

            “They sort of look like the elves from the movie Elf,” I murmur, a grin on my face.

            “Really? Is everything you know about Christmas based off of that movie?” Clyde asks me, dryly.

            I glance at him, a small pout on my lips. “No…But a majority of it.”

            Clyde heaves an exasperated sigh, lacing his cold fingers with mine before pulling me through the hall.

            “Where are we going?” I ask.

            He ignores me, urgently pulling me down the stairs.

            He hits the bottom floor and the moment he does, a wave of people dressed in stripped clothing and pointed hats swirl around us in a hurry.

            “Hi Clyde,” a chorus of them say, passing by quickly.

            I don’t miss the strange looks I am given.

            I clutch onto Clyde, half scared out of my mind at how weird it was to think of these people as elves.

     “This is weird,” I whisper.

            “You’re weird,” Clyde retorts, a small smirk on his face as he waves to a few elves.

            “Well gee, you’re such a charmer,” I snap, sarcastic.

            Clyde rolls his eyes, pulling me sharply to the left, narrowly squeezing through two big furnaces and assembly lines.

            I stare at the lines of elves quickly packaging, assembling and fixing little items.

            I stumble for the 100th time and Clyde stops, catching me.

            “Look, I know you’re new to all this but can you just try and not die tripping?” he asks me, amusement laced in his tone.

            I stick my tongue out at him. “Hey, I don’t see this everyday, so just shut up.”

            Clyde shrugs, standing still as I marvel at everything around me, soaking it all in.

            Everything was done in precise, orderly ways.

            I would hate to have to head over all of this- the elves, the toys, everything.

            Glancing at Clyde, I shake his hand to gain his attention.

            “Can I ride that?” I whisper, excited as I nod to the builders crane looming above.

            Clyde snorts. “No.”

            “Why not?” I whine. “I have my license.”

            Clyde gives me a horrified look. “Are you kidding me? There’s no way you’ll be able to maneuver a car-let alone that monster machine.”