{Chapter 10}

I awoke to see white walls and a needle poking out if my arm. I was aware of a faint beeping. The sound of the beeps and the blinding light made my temples pulse. It took me a moment to recollect what happened before I blacked out, but the memories flooded into my brain again and my eyes widened in fear. I made a small, guttural whimper realizing I was in the ER. thinking about my leg made me feel sick. All the sudden I felt a hand close around mine and was met by a pair of unfamiliar green eyes.

"Thank GOD your okay Grace! You scared the living shit out of me!" It took me a moment to realize who it was but as soon as I saw, I couldn't help but smile. The boy was wearing light brown skinny jeans with a chain hanging from his pocket to his belt and a dark grey v-neck with a skull on it. He wore black Vans with bright green laces. His ears had bright green spikes sprouting from them and his green contacts looked down at me worriedly.

"Ashur! Thank god you came! Are you ok? Did they get him? Where's the doctor, what's wrong with me?" I bombarded him with questions. I knew breaking my leg like I had would land me in the ER but needles and a heart monitor? Something was up.

"Woah, slow down tiger! Of course I'm fine. I've got a scrape or two...". He turned his head and I saw a long cut running down the side of his face. It didn't look deep but it was there. I must not have seen him get hit.

"But trust me, you should see the other guy," he remarked with a smirk, and we both laughed for a long time. We sat there and I examined the room again, seeing things in more detail now that I had shed off my initial grogginess and surprise.

The room was relatively small with all white walls except for a small boarder of teal at the bottom, separating the two colors with a white trim. Uncomfortable hospital chairs were scattered around the room. A metal rod stuck out of the wall above me, attaching to the wall in two places, a white curtain hanging off of it. Instead of surrounding the bed, it was completely open, signaling to family and friends I could have visitors. There were one table on either side of the room and a small fold out one attached to the side of the bed. On the left wall of the room was an x-ray of my broken leg, lit from behind. I looked away, feeling sick to my stomach. Machines beeped and whirred next to me, and there was Ashur, looking so out of place and unnatural sitting there at the foot of the bed. He reached up and scratched behind his head. I asked again.

"What's wrong with me?" he hesitated, then spoke.

"You had a major concussion and of course you leg, but...but it's really bad. It broke both of the bones. One of them came through the skin. They wanted to keep you for a few days to make sure it would start to heal properly. It was... bad." It wasn't until then I realized the cast snug on my leg.

"Fuck..." I pulled back the blanket to reveal a bright green cast on my shin, my toes sticking out of the hole on the end. I tried to sit up and get a better look. Bad decision. Pain shot through my body, black dots danced across my vision and I was suddenly aware of a dull pain in my head. I whimpered and laid back down, wishing I had an aspirin for the headache that was soon to follow.

"Grace? Grace, you ok? Grace?" Ashur looked worried. I began to fade out, my eyelids growing heavy.

"Grace? Oh, um, ok. You just, uh, sleep then. Can I do anything for you or-?" He sat waiting for an answer, and when I didn't give one he got up to leave. Before he could I reached out to grab his wrist and he spun around. Slowly fading into a pain induced slumber, my words came out slow and quiet, like a fog had rolled into my head and was keeping my brain from telling my mouth what it should say.

"You.. can do... one... thing." I paused to reopen my eyes, so I was looking right at him.

"Keep... me company?" I whispered, almost inaudibly.