Chapter Twenty-Three. Squish

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE. 

Katie wondered why Sparky had kept his distance, said nothing, tried nothing, since that last time eight days ago. Now she knew. Katie heard the rumour, then got it confirmed by Mich.

At the first opportunity she phoned Paul. Without any preamble she shouted, 'what the f*ck do you think you're doing?' She didn't let him speak. 'You organised this on Sparky didn't you. Well?'

Paul's voice attempted to sooth Katie's fury but it didn't work. 'Don't give me all that 'calm down' bit, said Katie in a steely voice. 'Was it you? Simple question.'

'Yes. To warn this creep off. Not to harm him, but . . .'

'Are you off your head?' she spat. Luckily, Katie was outside the school, far enough away not to be over-heard. She felt like kicking the fence in front of her. 'Sparky could go to the police for assault . . .'

'It wasn't like that . . .'

'Listen you idiot. If the police look into this and make the connection to you, it will implicate me. It'll look like I also planned this beating up.' Katie was well into her stride now and stabbed the air with her finger to make her point. 'And then the press get hold of it and print, daughter of Scotland Yard detective organises gang assault. Katie took a breath and felt pleased with herself. She could tell Paul was stunned into silence on the other end of the phone. She checked to make sure nobody was coming her way. Her bra strap itched which served to increase Katie's anger.

'I'm sorry,' he said.

'It almost makes me want to go over to Sparky and let him screw me, just to say how sorry I am.' In a peculiar way Katie quite liked that idea to get back at Paul for being such a prick. And for Paul being so controlling, so into getting his own way, so selfish. She rubbed her breast, it felt good.

'For Christ's sake, Katie, we haven't seen each other recently. We need to talk . . .'