3. His Father's Will

Mister Rife came to see me that morning.

"Csarie, I'm sorry for what my son did yesterday. I talked to him about his improper action and sent him back to Spian." He stood up gracefuly with a good-looking posture and waved his copper colored cape.

"Mister Rife, you don't have to worry about me. I'll just pretend I never saw anything last night." I said proudly with my chin up.

"That's great to hear. Now, you know my wife just died and I'm in need of your assistance to replace her in my office. I won't take a 'no' as an answer. You'll be starting tomorrow." He was gracefully lifting his slender fingers while talking to me. I was about to oppose his request or I'd rather say as decision but I chose to shut my mouth and ask my parents first.

"Mom, dad, why does Mister Rife needs my presence? He's very pushy and demanding." I asked them when they came back home from their duties.

They're both puzzled and looked at each other first before facing me. "I don't know, darling. Just do as he says. Work as his secretary and a messenger. You're the only one he can rely on. You were the only one who's close with Lady Rife. He hopes you watched her routines during your stay with them." Mom nervously said, her eyes are moving anywhere from left to right and doesn't stay on me.

Dad pulled her hands together. "Our daughter will be fine, right? I hope this isn't too much for her. I just worry about her health. She's too young for this." They both look at me with worries.

"Csarie, don't disappoint Lord Rife. Be useful to him. He's doing this to make you a fine woman, for Claude to marry." Mom forced a smile and pulled dad to their room.

I followed them and tried hard to hear them with my ears on their door.

"Nick, he's being too fond of our daughter. Can't you see? This isn't normal anymore." Mom tries to put her voice down.

"I know! I know! I'm afraid he's making our daughter turn as her wife instead of Claude's. I don't feel good about this." Dad's voice was hysterical.

"What are we going to do?! Nick! Please do something!" Mom begged him to think of a better way.

I opened the door and saw her screaming in tears.

"Mom, Dad? I decided for myself. I'll be working in Lord Rife's office after my studies." I looked at them pretending to be strong. I don't want them to worry anymore. What ever happens will happen. I'll not escape this situation. Lord Rife's very powerful and if we will oppose him, I know my parents won't be forgiven.

"Csarie, please don't. What if he will do something forceful? Something no one will like?" Mom kneeled and hugged my waist.

"I won't allow him to harm me. He might look scary but he was gentle to the heart." A smile lifted their souls hoping that my words were true.

...

"Csarie, you came. I thought you'll run away from me just like when you were a little kid." He smiled at me. It made me feel nervous. I don't know why but he's really handsomely scary to my eyes.

No matter how handsome and powerful he is, I can't avoid being uneasy infront of him.

'Think about your family, Csarie.' The voice in my head reminded me not to back out.

I always come early to serve him after school. It was very tiring but I always think of my family and forget my feelings.

The years went by. He's becoming more abusive. His normal orders are to send letters by giving it to his servants for them to send outside, brew his coffee, boil his tea and scan his papers and organize his appointments. Now, I'm becoming more like his wife. I prepare his clothes he will wear for his parties, attend with him on his meetings and balls, fix his bowtie on his neck and fix his bed during bed time.