Fears

I didn't know where I was the moment I woke up but Tristan was beside me, fast asleep.

"Hey," he said startled as I patted his hair, his eyes showing relief. "You're up. Are you feeling better? I'll call the doctor."

I'm at a hospital? Was my injury that bad?

The doctor came in and he checked my conditioned. He talked to Tristan outside for a while and he came back in with a smile. "The doctor said you're doing great. He just needs to run a few more tests and you're good to go."

"What happened to Lance?"

"He was gone the moment I snapped out." He bowed his head down, "I'm sorry."

"I'm fine now, right?" I said trying to make him feel better, "don't worry about it. Are you okay now? Aren't you weak?"

"I'm fine. I didn't use all of what I had from you," he said with a smile.

"That's good. How long was I out?" I said as I tried to sit up.

"Easy there, your body's still recovering," he said helping me up. "You were unconscious for 2 days."

"And my mom?"

"I didn't tell her," he said shrugging. "I'd worry she might freak out so I asked Angela to tell your mom that you'll be with her to do a project."

"Quite sneaky," I laughed.

And he laughed, too. But after a while, silence filled the room. I looked outside the window to see the beauty of the setting sun. "I like seeing sunsets and sunrises. It's like they're telling me that even though the day ended, there'll be another day to make up for your mistakes."

"I'm sorry," he said, "for not being able to explain things properly." He looked at me, eyes filled with sincerity, "I was afraid, so I thought it would actually be best to stay away from you. I was afraid to have you see what I'm really like, because I didn't want you to fear me. I was afraid that this beast inside me will tear up my body and eventually eat up the humanity I had left. I thought Lance would stop if I stayed away, but when I felt you becoming agitated and worried, I hurried to see what was happening. Then I changed, because I wanted to protect you. But I ended up hurting you."

"So when you told me that there were two kinds of wolves, the one who kills and the one who tries to survive," I then paused, trying to remember my train of thought.

"The one who kills has no humanity left, the one who survives try to keep their humanity alive," he continued for me. "There are some who are able to control it, like Lance, and there are some who can't. I was afraid I couldn't. When I told you I had the tendency to kill you, this was what I meant. Lance didn't just want a part of your energy, he wanted to feed on you. He wanted your life. I didn't want to be the kind of monster he was. I wanted to be the kind who'd be able to protect you." He sighed, "Angela, you're friend, she used to be with a wolf, too."

"She was?" I asked, surprised.

He nodded, "Nash had kept an eye on her. He's another of my kind, the ones who chose their humanity over power. He met her on a bus stop, tipsy. She was about to fall from where she was seated, but Nash caught her. And in that moment, the moment he had touched her, he knew she was his mate."

"But why aren't they together now?"

"Because Nash chose to keep her safe than to slowly become addicted to the strength Angela was giving her." He smirked, "ironic, isn't it? We call it surviving but we end up dying."

"And how many are left of your kind?"

"There are 9 of us left: Bryle, Kris, Erick, Lance, Braden, Christopher, me, Kai and Marc." He then stood up and started pouring water in a cup, "Erick's our guardian, he makes sure that those who turn would be able to control the strength they have. If not, they'd end up being put to death." He sat back down to his chair and handed me the cup of water. "Tao ended up being killed because he couldn't control his lust for power. Chen and Nash chose to protect the person they love. Lance, together with Christopher, Marc and Kris learned how to control and feed on others as much as they want, to the point wherein they'll be desperate to take other's mate."

"Why would they want to steal another wolf's mate?"

"Because even though a wolf takes her energy, when she recovers, the energy she gives to any wolf would double."

"But what about Angela? I mean, wouldn't anyone of them go after her like Lance did to me?"

"When a wolf dies," he paused, "all the memory his mate, and everyone else, has of him will all be erased. And the mark a wolf made with that person then becomes her shield from those supernatural beings that would try to hurt her."

"And you've been keeping all these sentiments to yourself?"

"Yeah," he chuckled.

"So basically, an imprinting starts with just a kiss?"

"Yes, with just a kiss," he smiled.

"But last time at your house —"

"I lied," he cut me short. The moment you entered the classroom, I knew I found you. I just didn't want to let you in the world I know, it's too dangerous."

"You don't have to," I argued. "Do you remember what you told me the day before we went to the beach?"

He then tilted his head to the right, "no."

"You told me that I needed you, too, as much as you need me. Back then I thought I didn't," I took a deep breath in. It was all clear to me, "but now I'm sure what I need."

"To protect you?" He asked.

"No," I shook my head, "to be with you."

And slowly, he smiled - the most genuine smile I've ever seen.