Twenty-Five: "I like that you're unpredictable."

__________
Song of the chapter:
Name by The Goo Goo Dolls
__________

A few days had gone by at a faster pace than I'd hoped. Before Justin, my summers would drag on both day and night. But ever since he came along, everything was going so fast that I almost didn't realize it was almost the end of July.

Nothing had dramatically changed between us, meaning there was no actual status of what we were and oddly, I was okay with that. Spending time with someone who I could be myself around was just fine with me. I never thought people could click so easily. Sure, it took me a while to accept it since I was so stubborn, but I often wondered what it would have been like if I had been open with him from the beginning. It didn't necessarily matter considering things were great the way they were, but it was just a thought.

It was late one night and I was in my room alone. A few hours prior, I had departed Justin's presence due to the fact that he had to do some chores for his mom. He tried to sucker me into doing them along with him, but I rejected the idea. I was feeling a bit tired and I needed to take a nap, which I did. I had fallen asleep on my bed with my clothes on from earlier that day, which was kind of funny to me because it clarified just how tired I was feeling.

I woke up to the sound of something coming from outside. It was rhythmic-- something hitting the ground repeatedly. I squinted my tired eyes and pushed myself up off of my bed, standing to my feet. A yawn emerged from my mouth and I stretched my arms up, releasing all of the tension my muscles had accumulated from my three hour long slumber.

Running my fingers through my hair, my feet lead me over to my window due to my curiosity for the noise that disrupted my sleeping. I pushed the curtain aside with my fingertips to reveal the outside. My eyes immediately landed on a boy across the street playing basketball, dribbling it down the driveway an shooting it into the net. It wasn't just any boy-- Justin.

If it wasn't him, I would have been irritated beyond belief. The idea of someone playing basketball outside past ten at night was kind of dumb. But when I opened my window and yelled down to him, he said something that made me second guess my thought.

"Do you realize how late it is?" I yelled down to him, causing him to look up and stop dribbling the ball. A grin painted on his lips that I could see clearly from the lights outside of his house along with the lights that illuminated the streets.

He knew right away I was only kidding by the tone in my voice, and he shrugged his shoulders carelessly. "Took you long enough. I've been trying to get your attention for about a half an hour."

"Oh, have you really?" I tested, resting my elbow on my window frame and my chin in the palm of my hand.

He shrugged. "Hey, I tried calling you, but you wouldn't pick up."

"What do you want, Bieber?" I jokingly scoffed with a half-smile curved on my lips. The nighttime breeze tangled in my hair, laying a few strands over my neck. As I drew in a breath, it smelled so clean and fresh. Kind of like fresh cut grass. Across the sky, the stars were scattered and the moon was held there perfectly. But with all of that going on, I could only seem to focus on one thing: the tall boy with jeans, gray sneakers, and a green sweatshirt with perfectly messed light brown hair and a striking smile.

What's happening to me? I wondered. I'm not like this. I don't fall for boys easily. I never have. This isn't me-- is it?

"I just want to see you," he declared innocently. "is that so bad?"

Moving away from the window, I pressed my lips together in order to fight back the smile forming on my lips. It was still hard for me to show all of my feelings around Justin. A part of me wouldn't let go of that insecurity, even if he kind of did break past it already.