25 August, 1701

Today was a long day, for when we first arrived I had no idea what would be in store for me. The trip itself was long, and it took months for me to arrive here at the New World. Father met me at the dock, but I was quickly sent away to meet my new employer. The man that I would soon start work for spoke very little English (I believe he had a Spanish tongue), so my knowledge of what I would be doing was vague at best. Finally, after stumbling around for a while, a British soldier who was standing guard nearby directed me to where I was supposed to be, and told me of what I was to be doing. I was to unload ships that came into the harbor, then reload them with goods that would be going somewhere near the West Indies.

The job itself isn't too bad. Father must be pleased that I am finally working and providing a life for myself. But the trip over was gruesome and, might I say it, quite terrifying. Many a night I lay awake wondering if we would even make it to shore. My safety was never guaranteed, but Father made it ever so clear that I would make a life for myself in the New World, a chance that he wished he would've had when he was as young as I.

I do hope to soon meet a woman that I will be able to start a family with. This being another thing that would please Father. Though Adelaide was whom I truly loved, I could not stand to watch her ruin her perfect hands with years of harsh toil, as I shall now take on. Oh dear Adelaide, how I miss you so. Perhaps when I am finished paying my debt I will be able to work a real job. Then I shall pay forth the money required to sail my love over, and I shall reacquaint myself with her.

A fine dream. An impossible one, yet a fine dream indeed.