Legend of the Blue Sea: Episode 1 Recap

August 1598, in the northeastern province of Gangwon-do.

A massive storm pummels a seaside village, uprooting trees and battering huts. Villagers secure their goods and huddle for cover, while fishermen struggle to secure their boats and the pier, only to have a massive tidal wave sending them into the churning waters.

By morning, the sea is calm, and the residents set about cleaning up the wreckage left behind by the storm. One happy result is that fish have been beached by the storm, and the people gather them up by the handful on the shore.

In a nearby cave, a young woman struggles to move, weary and sand-swept. The fish-gatherers make their way over to the cave curiously, and gape when they see the woman inside (Jeon Ji-hyun). "It's a person!" they exclaim.

A short while later, a nobleman, LORD YANG (Sung Dong-il) hurries home excitedly, asking the fishermen who await him, "Where is the mermaid?" He is shown to his pond, eyes widening to make out the woman sitting there—a little battered, wrists tied with rope, her long glittering tail stretched out in front of her. "It's a real mermaid," he breathes excitedly.

He reaches out toward her, but a fisherman warns him to be careful: It's said that if someone mistreats ("raises a hand to") a mermaid, she can suck out his soul and erase his memory. That's the mermaid's self-protective measure against humans. Lord Yang shrugs, saying he won't raise a hand to her, but a knife.

The mermaid shoots him a sidelong glare. The nobleman uneasily wonders if she can understand him, but brushes it aside. He promises the fishermen a reward before turning to his plans for tonight's banquet. He wonders when the newly appointed mayor will arrive.

Probably soon, from the looks of the large traveling party on the road. The new mayor, DAM-RYUNG (Lee Min-ho), rides among them, and the camera lingers on a jade bracelet on his wrist.

At the banquet that night, Lord Yang plies Dam-ryung with flattery, then asks if he's heard of mermaids. A nobleman dismisses the stories as fiction, but Lord Yang announces that he's got a fascinating sight to show them. Turning their attention toward his pond, he proudly reveals his catch.

The mermaid looks up at them, looking lost and forlorn, sitting in a net as fishermen prod her with sticks. Intrigued, Dam-ryung walks down for a closer look.

He asks what Lord Yang means to do with her, and gets the explanation that mermaid oil is incredibly valuable, burning for an incredibly long time and never going bad. Lord Yang boasts that he's landed this fortune for being faithful to his country and living a good life.

Dam-ryung has been holding back his distaste for Lord Yang so far, but now he lets some of it show, explaining that he had Lord Yang looked into, and found that he'd bought his way into a government position and then tripled the fishing tax. He says that the king levies severe punishments against officials who burden the people, hinting that Lord Yang could lose his neck over this. Scared, Lord Yang asks what to do, asking if there's anything Dam-ryung would like.

"Anything?" Dam-ryung asks. Lord Yang affirms it, sending a sidelong glance at the mermaid. She and Dam-ryung lock eyes for a long moment.

The next thing we know, the mermaid splashes into the sea, swimming off to freedom.

Dam-ryung watches from the boat above, while from the shore, Lord Yang grumbles over the mayor's high-handedness. He vows to recapture the mermaid and get rid of the mayor.

Dam-ryung watches the mermaid swim away, but she pauses to look back at him, then turns back to swim up to his boat. She reaches up with an outstretched hand.