Crystal - 1986

I tried to be the tallest person in the world. I was really hungry. When you get in trouble he won’t give you dinner. Because, you don’t deserve it. But I was really hungry. I reached as high as the roof. I lightly touched it with my finger and it knocked down off the shelf. I know that I’m supposed to wait for after dinner to eat dessert, but it’s the closest thing I could find, and I haven’t eaten anything since two days ago and I know he’s not going to give me anything to eat tonight either. He doesn’t have to know. I grabbed the can and tiptoed my way out of the metal kitchen. I peaked around the hallway to see if anyone was coming. I gripped the can and started walking down one of the hallways that leads to my room. I quickly tiptoed to the end of the hallway which is a part of this metal maze. I turned sharply around the corner. I was tiptoeing away when I heard him. I stopped dead in my tracks.

“What are you doing silly? You know dessert comes last.” I felt a searing pain in my shoulder. I started sprinting. I remembered the day Sissy passed. It started like this. Her shoulder first, then her back. I felt the hot blood seeping down my shirt. I knew it was spreading like wildfire across my whole shirt. I glanced to see I was right. My white shirt was now red. It doesn’t matter right now. All that matters is that I keep running. I turned down hallway after metal hallway. I found myself at the center. I turned down a random hallway. I realized Steve wasn’t anywhere behind me. My shoulder hurt and I was getting dizzy. I noticed I was very close to a doorway. I walked up to it and looked inside. A little boy was sitting on his bed rubbing his eyes and looking around like he had no clue where he was. Poor kid. He had jet black hair and very pale skin. I probably had pale skin too figuring how dark and cold it is in this place. I think eventually he knew I was here and he made eye contact with me. There was something strange about him. It was his eyes. They were grey with a purple lining. I don’t know if this was real or if I was losing so much blood that I was hallucinating. I heard heavy footsteps and I knew It was him I looked and I was right. Again. I looked at the little boy once again and sprinted away. I suddenly couldn’t see. I was losing too much blood. I blacked out. I knew this was it. Once he got up to me I was done for. At least I’ll get to see Sissy again. My eyes snapped open. I guess I fell because I was laying on the floor. I eased up onto my feet. But I didn’t. Wait, what? I was standing but I was looking at my body laying on the floor. I poked “my” face. My hand went right through. Oh! Oh. Oh. I was dead. This isn’t what it’s supposed to be like. What about heaven? Paster Lee always talked about heaven. My shoulder didn’t hurt anymore. I didn’t feel any pain either. I looked around and saw Steve walking away from my body. The little boy walked out of his room. And looked at Steve and around at my body. He looked confused. Steve pulled out his hammer and swung it around on the little boys head. The little boy’s eyes rolled back and he fell. It was awful. I actually saw his chest lowing come to a stop. Then the weirdest thing happened. There was movement in the body. I saw the little boy slowly float up. He looked down at himself. I felt awful. I knew he was about to go through exactly what I went through a few moments ago. I saw it in his eyes. The realization of what happened. Knowing that he was dead. And so was I.