Chapter 1

Jake's Pov
I stare at the walkers passing the fence. I hate them. I really do. If it wasn't for them my mom and dad would still be here. When the outbreak first started I got out with them as well as my brother. My sister was in another state so we never got to her in time. I never found out if she lived past the first month or not.......hell she might not have even lasted the first day.

We were fine for the first six months. The four of us. Then it became three and then two...after that me and my brother Jason left the warehouse we were staying at.

We then came upon this house. It had a pretty big fence around it to keep walkers out. Twelve feet. We found out that whoever lived here before was ready for the apocalypse but never made it. It had solar panels on top of the house and a back up generator in the basement. There was a garden in the back. The basement was filled with food and weapons that could last awhile. It had it's own water system and everything.

Not long after we found the house we met four new people. Well I guess they weren't all new because two of them I knew before the world went to shit.

Katie and Courtney my best friends before the apocalypse happened.

I then met Jake and Mandy....that was about six months ago or so.

I hear the door open and I turn my head to see Courtney walking over to me. "Hey." I say as she sits next to me. "Hey." She gives me a small smile. She doesn't like walkers same as me.

"What are you doing out here?" She asks.

I shrug my shoulders at her question. "I'm just watching the walkers walk by." I say with a small sigh.

"Want to go hunting?" She asks me.

I look at her and she rolls her eyes.

"Oh yeah I forgot....you hate killing animals." She says with a smirk.

"I do...but I know we need food...it's just.....I just think there's enough dead things as is....you know?" I say looking at her.

She lets out a sigh but nods her head.

"Yeah I know what you mean....I feel it too...but like you said, we need to eat." She says with a small smile and I hit her on the shoulder playfully.

"Haha your so funny." I say rolling my eyes.

She rasied her eyebrows.

"Oh you don't have to tell me. I already know." She says with a cocky smirk.

That's when I hear a gun shot. I jump to my feet pulling out my pistol.

Courtney pulled out hers as well.
We run to the gate but I don't see anyone.

"Where the hell are those shots coming from?" Courtney says shaking her head.

"I don't know...I don't see anyone." I say.

And not even two seconds later I see a boy running down the street with ten walkers behind him.

"Oh shit." I say unlocking the fence and running out to help the boy who clearly needs it.

He must have ran out of bullets because he pulls out a knife and stabs one of the walkers in the head only for the body to fall on top of him.

That's when I raise my pistol and fire three shots into the small horde. Three bodies quickly falling to the ground.

The boy who by that time pushed the dead walker off of him looks up to see me with shock in his eyes.

"Come on!" I scream at him and he stands up and dashes towards me.