N I N E

Euphemia

"You be careful Euphemia, you make sure you keep a low profile until it's time for you to leave to California. G is searching everywhere for you," grandpa told me as I got out of his truck. "Once you go down there and find your mama, you stay there with her. You don't need to come back here."

"I won't, and I promise I'll call you every day while I'm down there," I promised. I kissed his cheek before running into the house and locking the door behind me.

I found Keith lying on the couch asleep. I guess he got tired of waiting for me, I looked around the house for Raymond, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Raymond, where are you?" I walked down the hall to where the guest rooms are located. I looked inside, and there he was passed out on his bed, except something felt strange.

I walked inside his room and watched his chest to see if he was breathing, but his chest didn't move. "Raymond?" I whispered, going closer. The floor creaked as I took each step; I felt myself beginning to sweat.

I reached my hand out to touch him, but his hand shot up and grabbing my arm. I screamed as he just laughed like something was funny

"Calm down" He was laughing, so many tears were coming from his eyes. "I was just messing with you."

"Don't fucking play like that! I thought you were dead for real. I'm already going through enough. I don't need you to be playing like that!" I shouted, storming out of the room. As I was about to make my way to my place, he stopped me, turning me around to face him.

"I'm sorry. I thought that I was going to make you laugh. You been through enough shit, and I just wanted to see a smile on your face. I didn't mean to make you upset," He apologized while looking me dead in my eyes. I knew he didn't mean any harm, he was just trying to get me to crack a smile, and I could understand that. But he did scare me.

"It's okay. I'm just paranoid. I'm sorry I cursed at you. I didn't mean to."

He nodded his head in understanding, letting my arm go. Raymond is handsome with his light brown eyes and dark mocha brown skin. His hair was neatly cut into a low fade with waves. He wore a black wife beater with gray jogging pants with the Nike logo on them. His lips were so plump.

"Are you also 18 and graduated from high school?" I asked, wanting to know. Raymond never told me about himself while we were in the living room, so I still knew nothing about him.

"Nah, I'm the youngest along with Brian; well, sorta I'm 17 and Brian 16. I'm in my senior year of high school, though," he explained, "When your birthday?"

"December the thirteenth," I replied with a smile. I loved that my birthday was in December, it's the most prettiest time of the year because of all the white snow. It's so peaceful and calming.

I heard the front door being opened. I knew it was Genesis since she's the only one I know with keys to the house. I made my way down the stairs to be greeted by Genesis and baby Candace. The baby was smiling and looking around. It brought joy to my heart. "Candace woke up today, Euphemia."

"Is she okay?"

"Yes, tomorrow we'll be leaving for California, and we're leaving early to try to avoid heavy traffic. So make sure you all go to bed early tonight."
Genesis informed us, Keith was now sitting up doing whatever on his phone.

"I met my grandpa." I came out and said. Genesis's widened. She sat the baby in her crib before taking a seat on the couch

"How is he?"