Chapter 4

WARNING: This chapter contains triggering content. (injuries/some death at the end)

Your eyes widened. Data stared back, his face blank.

"As I said, you may be uncomfortable with the holodeck program."

"Do I have to be your love interest? Are there any other characters I could play?"

"Hmm... not in that program. If you like, you can play the character of Watson in one of my Sherlock Holmes programs."

You thought over this. You had no feelings for Data- not yet, anyway. You didn't even know if it was possible for him to feel any emotions at all. To work on the mystery with him, or be comfortable with a romance-driven holodeck program, you had to get to know him better.

After giving your response a little thought, you said: "Let's get to know each other a little better before we do these... romantic holodeck adventures. Have you solved any other puzzling cases before?"

"Yes, I have. I have learned through real applications of Sherlock Holmes novels that when all other possibilities are eliminated, the one that remains, though it may seem impossible, is the truth."

"We haven't narrowed it down that far yet. But..."

"What is it, (Y/N)?"

"I need to know you, not your strategies. Hmm... what are four things you like to do?"

Data thought for a bit. "I practice many forms of art, I help with repairs, I work in engineering, and I care for my cat."

Motioning to yourself, you said, "I read books, I like to sketch, I take self-defense classes with Worf in my spare time, and I like observing things, mostly about people."

Suddenly, the ship lurched. At first, you cringed, thinking you were going to hit the ground. You were very surprised when you found yourself in Data's arms.

"Data to bridge." stated Riker through the comm badge.

Data stood up and let you go. He tapped his badge. "I'm on my way, Commander." 

You were a bit motionless after the whole incident. Your eyes were as wide as Data's were yellow. The bartender Guinan walked up.

"First time I've ever seen Data behave like that." she commented after he left.

"Like what?"

"Well... He's never caught anyone in his arms like a brave prince from a fairy tale before."

You rolled your eyes. You were about to wittily say something back when Doctor Crusher called you on your badge. 

"Ensign (L/N), report to sick bay immediately."

----------

You hurried to sick bay. Cardassians were laying on the medical tables, each one injured.

"I can't explain now- but I need all the help I can get here." Doctor Crusher breathed, injecting one Cardassian and scanning another.

You went up to one who was barely conscious. You gave him painkiller. He tried to say something, but he couldn't.

You leaned over and touched his hand. "Shh, shh, you're going to be alright."

As you worked, you heard many sounds of distress. More than a few of the Cardassians flatlined.

You caught up with Doctor Crusher after work. "Who did this to them?"

"The Maqis."

You shuddered. The Maqis were rebels, and were perceived as enemies of both the Federation and the Cardassians.

A sudden thought occurred to you, and you hurried towards your quarters. Had you found the missing piece of the puzzle?