Chapter 5: The Queen of Delinquents Wears Pink Bunny Slippers

Tory

I raise my eyes at Lukas, whose face turned beet red due to everyone ogling at him. He shuffles to Kate, handing her a note. "I'm sorry, Kate. Ms. Williams just informed me that I was switched into this class period."

Kate scans the note, nodding and smiling. "Of course, Lukas. Take a seat. You're just in time for the project announcement."

Lukas nods, coming to sit in the seat in front of me. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Muse clenching her fists and staring intently at her desk. I take note of that and then focus on Kate.

She claps her hands and smiles at us, "Anyways, back to what I was saying. Those of you that already have a partner, you may get started. Everyone else gather around my desk to learn your assignments."

There's a wave of movement. Muse and I look at each other and scoot our desks so that we're facing each other. We spend the next few minutes in silence, both rummaging for our notes and such. Finally, I break the silence saying, "You weren't kidding about you and Lukas."

"Gods, I hope he didn't see me! I'm gonna shoot my damned knee cap off." Muse says, fidgeting nervously.

"Muse, honey, this is a pretty small class. He's going to notice you eventually. That being said, even if he did notice you, you don't have to talk to him. He'll have his project with his partner and we have ours. It'll be fine." I say, reassuringly.

Muse smiles and relaxes, "You're right. Lets get started."

I'm about to ask her a question about her family, but Kate walks over. "Excuse me, girls."

"What's up, Kate?" Muse asks, smiling.

"Well, Muse, there seems to a be a mathematical issue going on." Kate replies.

"This is English. What does math have to do with anything?" Muse asks, looking concerned and confused.

"When I assigned everyone their partners, I didn't know Lukas would be joining us. So now we have an odd number of students, meaning one pair will have to became a trio. Which is why I came to my two best students." Kate says, smiling. The pieces click in my mind and my first instinct is to look over at Muse, who seems to have made the same realization. Her face is pale and she's staring at me with a panicked look in her eyes. Kate notices none of this, bless her heart. "So, what do you two say?"

Before I can stop myself, my inner Teacher's Pet takes over and says, "Of course, Kate. It's no problem."

"Fantastic! Lukas, we got it all sorted out. You'll be working with Tory and Muse." Kate calls and Lukas walks our way.

His facial expression is similar to one of a soldier going off into battle. Emotionless, determined, almost robotic.

He pulls another desk in front of mine and Muse's, forming a triangle. I smile cheerfully despite the palpable tension. "Hi, Lukas."

He grins at me, "Hey, Tory."

"Hi, Luke," Muse says, timidly. I didn't even think she could be timid.

"It's Lukas now," he replied curtly.

This sets her off. "Lukas Thomas Evans. I have known you since you were frigging 2 years old, you asshole. I have earned the right to call you whatever the hell I want."

Lukas glares at her and Muse counters with one of her own that would make grown men cry and beg for their mothers. I chuckle, nervously. "So, the weather, huh? It's been pretty warm this past week."

Muse is the first to leave the glare-off, nodding and forcing a smile. "Yes, it's been awesome for football practice. I hope it lasts until tomorrow, at least. We're throwing a barbeque/party tonight and the better the weather, the easier it'll be."