11.

We left in a rush, cutting through empty lots and the backyards of most homes while the officer and the detective had to go do a search on the names-unless they were able to do that in the car. They also had to use the streets, which hopefully slowed them down for us.

Gabriel was our next priority. We had to warn him about the detective. I didn't know him very well, and I worried about getting him into trouble because of us, but I spent most of the run lost in my head trying to come up with a fathomable reason for Olivia Santos to help someone steal a windshield-the someone who almost killed her best friend.

"How well do you know that girl, Danity?" asked Eli at one point. He'd been quiet during the run, and I'd almost forgotten he was even beside me.

"Since kindergarten," I answered. "At least I thought so...." I shook my head, feeling frustrated. "She was there, in the hospital with me. She was asleep before Mitch came in."

"Who's Mitch?"

"My ex-boyfriend, but he's not important."

"Does your friend drive?"

"No. Olivia sucks behind the wheel-I'm better than her at that. No way would she have been driving. Frankie's the one who drives her around." I almost stopped running.

Eli sighed. "Now, who's Frankie?"

"He's Olivia's boyfriend. He'd been drinking a bit at the party and had offered me a ride, but I refused. Maybe...."

"He had been driving?" Eli finished.

"Probably.... Maybe he thought to catch up to me or something. He has a crush on me."

Eli frowned. "But I thought you said he was Olivia's boyfriend."

"He is."

It seemed Eli didn't get it, and I didn't feeling like explaining it, but we thankfully stopped in front of a small house. It was just a little bigger than mine, one story and nicely trimmed. The lawn was freshly mowed. The hedges under the two windows were cut perfectly. There was no driveway though, so any car had to park on the curb-which was bare at the moment. All in all, it was a really nice home.

"I don't think he's back from the hospital yet," said Eli. "So... this Frankie kid was driving?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Olivia probably doesn't really care about Frankie enough to help him with something like this. It has to be someone more-no...." I thought I had been surprised enough for a twelve-hour period.

Eli stepped forward. "What is it?"

"It could've been Mitch.... Olivia had cheated on Frankie with Mitch." I sighed, realizing just what kind of people I was hanging around with. It was one of those 'why hadn't I seen it sooner?' kind of deals. I felt incredibly stupid... and somewhat used.

"This is starting to sound like a soap opera," said Eli, shaking his head. "Do you think they did it on purpose?"

"What? No." I was surprised he would even suggest that. "Neither of them would do that. They drank, yes, but.... It's more likely that Frankie was driving... maybe Olivia was in the passenger seat, annoying him into insanity. That's why I don't ride with them anymore."

Down the street, we saw the police car with Reyes and Mallory in it. They parked right in front of the house, and both of them got out. I didn't know why they'd bothered since it was obvious no one was home. Gabriel's truck wasn't there, and I assumed his parents were working.