Chapter 9 - [Selfishness]

Mayor Gryre put down the letter with a deep frown. He knew he should have expected such a vague and useless answer from the advisors of the King, but he was still disappointed.

     “You look down.”

     Mayor Gryre looked up and saw his wife walk in with a tray and a cup of tea.

He smiled at his wife, feeling a little better just by the sight of her.

     Lady Gryre was a beautiful woman with gorgeous brown, curly hair and a few white strands that made her look wise with age. Her eyes were a warm green colour and her smile was just as warm.

     “Still no good news?” She asked, placing the tray on his desk and handing him the cup.

     “I fear that something horrible is going to happen.” The Mayor said, taking the cup.

     “My love... You mustn’t think so negatively. I’m sure it isn’t as bad as you think.”

     He smiled at his wife, but before he could respond, a light gust of wind lifted his papers as Blood appeared in his office.

     The Mayor was startled when he appeared, but Blood bowed at both him and his wife. “Lord and Lady Gryre.”

     Lady Gryre bowed her head slightly at the warrior before she turned to her husband. “I’ll be inside.”

     The mayor nodded at his wife and waited for her to leave before he spoke.

     “You have a beautiful wife.” Blood said, respectfully.

     That made the Mayor smile. “Thank you. She is very important to me.”

     She was.

     It was an arranged marriage, but a lucky one.

     Being an accepting and loving woman, Lord and Lady Gryre had fallen in love with each other very soon after their marriage. They were lucky. Most arranged marriages do not mark the beginning of a true love.

     “I’m sure you have something important to discuss with me, since you’ve given me no warning before your arrival.”

     Blood nodded. “We’ve gotten the news that the advisors are not cooperating with your request to stop the invasion.”

     “You must have found out before I did. Because I just read the letter.”

     “Warriors have good ears.”

     “Warriors have good everything.” They Mayor responded as he put down his empty cup of tea.

     Blood smiled, but of course, the mayor couldn’t see.

     To the Mayor, Blood was simply a serious, silent and somewhat frightening young man.

     Not as serious, silent and frightening as his master. But almost as bad.

     “I assume Master Red knows and is unhappy?”

     “He is. But he doesn't blame you for this.” Blood responded. “He expected this and is nonetheless happy with your cooperation.”

     The Mayor nodded.

     “But he asked me to remind you of our agreement.”

     “I remember.” The Mayor said. “And you all have nothing to worry about. The Destynian royal family and my family have been friends for years. Long before Amberdyse joined Raffyre. If a war is to occur, we will not take part in it.”