My Father...Dead?!

I felt my hands tremble violently when I heard the news. I nodded slowly after the officer spoke again and quickly hung up the phone. My dad was dead? I couldn't believe it. I didn't know what to do. Luke saw me collapse on my couch which was near the phone. "Misty." He said as he sat down beside me. When I didn't answer, he lowered his voice. "Mysterica."

He called me Mysterica. He's serious now...

"What happened?" He asked, he lowered his voice so it was soft and more soothing. I could tell that he knew something was wrong by the way his voice was. It was gentle, but stern. "Who was on the phone?"

I didn't answer for a while. I glared at the carpet as if it was the carpets fault that my father died. Luke said my name again, but this time it was more soft and calm. He didn't seem demanding anymore, he seemed to be more understanding. A few tears just escaped my eyes as I finally managed to choke out my words.

"My father died... In a car accident." I sniffed and refused to look at him. "My moms at the hospital with him now, and she asked an officer to pick me up and take me there." I held out my arms toward him and demanded a hug, I didn't even have to say anything because Luke knew me too well.

He didn't hesitate to reach out and put his arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer to him. I rested my head on his shoulder as he stroked my hair, whispering words of comfort into my ear. "I'll be with you for this okay? I'm going to call my parents and let them know that I won't be coming home."

"Wha-?" I let go of him, sniffling. "You mean...You're coming?" I looked at him with surprise.

"Of course." Luke whispered. He grabbed his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed his number. "Mom? Hey, I won't be home for a while." Pause. "I'll tell you later. Bye." He hung up then faced me again.

I shivered, rubbing my arms without making eye contact with him. The silence between us was awkward, as we both just kind of looked around the room or made awkward eye contact with each other. Luke seemed to have gotten tired of it for he came a bit closer toward me with his arms out again.

"I don't want a hug, dork." I said with a small giggle, but the smile soon faded and was replaced with a frown. "I'm just... Upset."

Luke chuckled, then got serious again. "Right."

Knock...Knock...Knock...

"Stay here." Luke ordered.

I obeyed and sat where I was. I heard hushed murmurs of voices talking to each other in the next room. I assumed it was the officer who was at the door, but I still nervously fiddled with my own fingers and glanced from my hands to the doorway that led to the front door. It was only a few seconds later that I heard Luke call out;

"Misty! Come on we're leaving!"

My legs were shaky and weak as I got to my feet and slowly walked to the front door. I saw Luke talking with the policeman, (who was as fat as ever I may say). He tilted his hat when he saw me. "Hello."

"Hi."

"Now come along, your mother is waiting."

The officer sat us in the back seat before getting into the drivers seat and drove away, taking us to the hospital. I just sat there, looking out the window. The policeman broke the awkward silence that erupted between the three of us. "Uh, Luke. How are you related to Mysterica? Mrs. Lavendora never said anything about you."

Luke chuckled. "I'm her adopted brother." Was his answer.

I rolled my eyes. Obviously he wasn't related to my family at all, but for my own comfort Luke lied so he could stay with me. He was sweet, and I appreciated him being here for me even though he lied to the police.