Chapter 3: Work Place Hell Part 1

I work at a simple building in the heart of the city. I am a accountant there, making sure our company never gets bankrupted. Or to notify the higher ups if the company is on the brink of bankruptcy. I am happy to say for the past 50 years, we never had any problems with our finances. But right now? I think we will.

"I wish..."
"...to be...."
"....goddamit.. i want to..."

I have only one wish right now. To shut these fuckers up and let me do my work. Every time I computed I would be greatly distracted by tinkerbell like voices. Which is weird, if you ask me, bacause even those men whose wishes I heard sound like tinkerbell. It's like overgrown men, baby talking. That's really weird.

"Denver."

I ignored the voice, trying to focus on my work.

"Denver."

There is it again.

"Denver!"

And then cue my officemate who is currently snapping her fingers right in front of me.

"What?!"

I said annoyed. I am having a rough day and you dare to do that? Arrrrgh!

"Wanna grab lunch? You seemed so spaced out I had to get your attention by snapping. Sorry if it's rude."

She said apologetically. I sighed. I shouldn't be this mad to my officemate, especially to Cres, the only person who tries to get me to socialize. Don't get me wrong, Cres is indeed a legit woman. Her name, Cres, is a shortcut to Cressilda, which sounds like the early nineties and sounds like decades old. So she gave it a make over that sounds like a drag king's name.

"Oh come on, get out of that chair, you lazy bum, you haven't even started anything, let's go eat lunch! That will help you concentrate better on your work. Food is cure to everything!"

Yeah right, as if it can cure this weird voices in my head that if I told anyone about, I would be sent to mental for rehabilitation.

So we went outside, grabbed food at the nearby fast food and tiptoed away to the "zone". The only quiet place in the street. Weird huh? It's like a dome shaped cave like structure. And you can lay your blanket on the floor and have a picnic. It blocks all noises outside. Like covering your head with a blanket to block away the shoutings your mom and dad makes, your mom's cries and the sirens of the police cars blaring in the distance.

"You know,"

She says while biting chunks of burgers,

"You became a lot worse."

And here it is, her daily sermon. And before she starts I cut her off.

"Cres, look, it's no big deal. I'm just stressed at work."

And amazingly, these creepy voices in my head are luckily blocked by this weird structure. Maybe someday I'll live in this. But.. I found it weird. If I can hear every person's wish, why don't I hear Cres' wish? Or that girl who saved me then? I shook the thought off and bit more into my burger.

"I mean, you never talk to me anymore. At least before, you wouldn't snap at me like that. You would out-sarcasm me, but, you never ever snapped at me."

She said, staring at her burger. If you're hungry, woman, bite into it. Don't stare at it, it won't bite you back.

"And here you are again, spacing out."

I mean what? What the hell did she just say?

"Me? No! You must be imagining things."

She gives me a half smile.

"Then tell me what I said earlier."

"Something about biting burgers?"

"See, I told you, you're not paying attention. At least before, you would pretend to not hear me or spew venom on my thoughts, but now, you really are not paying attention. Is there anything that's troubling you?"

She asked me, her eyes, filled with concern.

"I am okay. There's nothing wrong with me. Just stress and everything."

Yes I am not okay. But I can't admit that right? Then she suddenly stood up, fishing her eye-pod, oh I mean I-Pod from her pocket. She really is old-fashioned. Then she plays this tune. It's really catchy. Then she suddenly sways to the music.

"You know what? If I feel stressed, I play a song and dance to it. A emergency dance bonanza! I used to dance with my twin..."

Wait, she has a twin?

"Woah, hold your horses, you have a twin?"

I cut her off. She rolls her eyes at me and pulls me up.

"Yes, I have, and you would have known that if you were really paying attention to me talking."

Quite a sore spot for me, if I say so myself. I have a habit of forgetting everything that I consider "irrelevant" such as shoes sizes, the proper key to the house, or where i placed, the used kitty litter for Adrianna.

"But weirdly enough, she had discoloured eyes. Her eyes, yes they are green as mine. But, her other eye, contracted albinism, that's why it's milky white. And weirdly enough, her hair too, half of her hair became discolored and turned white, while the half stayed brown. To cure that, she would buy contact lenses, with the natural green sheen, to hide her defect. She even dyed her hair auburn, just for the sake to hide it. But, right now, she is advised to take a rest. Her anemia is acting up again, and she even passed out from work."

Discoloured eyes, huh? Now where did I see that one? I stood up patting away nonexistent dust on my pants.

"Oh no, you are not getting out of this place wihout a dance off mister."

And she starts to dance wildly. Have you ever played Tekken, and played pvp the enemy and you uses the same character that looks like a kangaroo? Definitely looks like that.

"You look like a rooster asking for a fight."

And I start to walk away.

"Denver! How are you gonna leave, without these?"

She says, waving my wallet. Goddamit. This woman is a natural pickpocketer.

"Damn! Fine!"

And we danced to her flimsy song, later on passing out on the ground.

"I wish I can make people happy. It unnerves me seeing them frustrated."

I faced her. Was that a wish? But why didn't i hear it in tinkerbell format?

"Huh?"

"I said, I wish I can make people happy."

Definitely no tinkerbell sounds.

"Why the sudden riddiculous thoughts?"

She smiled at me.

"Happiness is an inexplainable feeling. I want to make sure everyone gets feel it."