He Never Knew

There was something wrong with Ponyboy, Dallas knew... He just didn't know what it was. Was it him? Was he doing something wrong? He never knew, but each day Pony got weaker and more tired than before. He also got sicker. Sicker than he'd ever gotten before. Dal didn't know what to do. He wanted his lover to be ok. Sometimes he'd stay up all night with Pony when he got sick and needed care. There wasn't much he could do but he tried. He'd lay with him, cuddling him softly until Pony needed to use the bathroom to throw up whatever fluids he had in his stomach. Darry didn't have the money to get him help, so he got weaker. When Dallas would go out to get some fresh air, tears would run down his cheeks as he knew the unavoidable truth. Ponyboy was dying. Ponyboy was sick and dying.

One day Dally decided that taking Ponyboy outside to get fresh air and bring colour back to his cheeks was a good idea. He picked Pony's frail body up and carried him down the stairs and out onto their front porch.
Ponyboy smiled feeling the warm sun on his cold skin. He was so weak that opening his eyes was a chore.
"Open your eyes baby," Dallas said holding Pony to his chest, "the flowers are blooming."
Ponyboy wanted to see the flowers but he just couldn't. He just couldn't...
"Come on Pony, let me see your beautiful eyes."

Ponyboy knew he had to do this for Dal even if it meant losing his energy for good. He slowly opened his eyes allowing his eyes to adjust to the soft yellowy sunlight. A weak smile crept up from the corners of his mouth.
"I love you, Dal..." He mouthed, yet no words came out.
No words had. Pony rested his head on Dally's chest for support. He was so weak and tired, everything was hard for him.
"I love you too Pony," Dallas said, a few tears escaping him as he watched the frail boy breathing.
It was shallow and slow. He wanted nothing more than to make his boyfriend ok again. Dally kisses the top of Pony's head and began to rock him.
Quiet tears began to run down Ponyboy's cheeks, but he was too weak to wipe them away, so he just sat there in Dallas's arms crying softly. Dal looked down at Pony and wiped his tears from his eyes.
"It's ok baby," Dallas said kissing Ponyboy's head, "cry it out. Just know I love you and no one can take it away."
Pony reached up and tugged at Dal's shirt. He wanted him.
He needed him.
"What is it baby?"
Pony's hand reached weakly up to Dally's face. He rubbed his cheek gently and set his hand back on his lap. Tears began to drip off of Dallas's nose and cheeks. He then raised Pony's chin softly with the tips of his fingers and looked into the boy's perfect hazel eyes. He was so pale it was unhealthy.
Dal then placed his lips on Pony's for a gentle kiss that would express all the feelings in the world.
It was like kissing a ghost. His lips were cold and no longer soft like Dallas remembered them to be. When he pulled away his face was written with worry and fear that he broke the young boy. Yet he didn't. Pony had his eyes closed once again, but his smile was still there, weak, but still there. Dally's heart was beginning to crumble seeing Ponyboy in such a state as he was. He wanted nothing more than for him to be ok. That's all he wanted, all he ever wanted. He remembered how it was when Johnny died, and seeing Ponyboy like this made him heart broken. He could be reliving it all. Johnny, but now Ponyboy... He couldn't have it like this.

But it wasn't his choice. Pony was dying and nothing could stop it, not even medicine that Darry couldn't afford.

So Pony lied there in Dallas's arms until he breathed his very last breath, leaving Dallas, just like his best friend Johnny did so long ago...