Chapter 1

It was all black. I slowly opened my eyes to see Max and his gang leave. I checked my watch to see that it was 4:48. Strange, they only beat me up for a solid 20 minutes, but they did it for 40 minutes! I slowly got up and crawled to my backpack, which was ransacked, like usual. I didn't have the strength to pick it up, so I just dragged it.  But the dragging backpack made a sound that one of Max's goons heard. "Over there!" He shouted. I acted quickly and ran, but it wasn't easy. I had a limp from the beatings and the backpack slowed me down. I abandoned the backpack and made a straight dash for it, but I was tackled. Two goons held me down while Max approached me. "Look at this. You think you can escape from behind our backs?" Max said, stern to the point. "Well, you're dead wrong." He finished and swung his fist at me.

    My watch had been stolen, so I didn't know what time it was. All I knew was it was dark, and raining. They stole everything from me: my backpack, my sweater, and even my shoes. I walked on the wet ground and tried to keep as much warmth as I could, but I was freezing. I finally reached home. I went on the porch and rang the doorbell. My Dad stood there, angry, as he usually is when he sees me. "Get in." He growled. I slowly walked inside and next to the fireplace. "Where's your stuff?" He questioned. "Max took it." I quietly answered. "Speak up!" He roared. "Max took it." I replied. He stared blankly at me, then swung his fist at me, just like Max. I stumbled onto the floor. I could see he was angrier then before. "You piece of shit!" He yelled. "Did you know how much that backpack costed? That was the only one you had you idiot!" He was so angry he kicked me in the gut. "Go to your room. Your not getting any food tonight." He ordered. I got up and made my way to my room. "Fucking kid." He growled and turned on the television. I went to my room and closed the door. My room was pitch black. Dad had boarded the windows and destroyed the light. My bed was dirty and infested with dust bunnies. I had no blanket and had to suffer with cold nights. I had no pillow and had to suffer the cold hard bed. The only source of light that I had was a flashlight that I had under the bed. I got on the bed in my wet clothes. The wind blew in from the hole in my ceiling and rain poured in. As I close my eyes, I heard the door open. "Come in." Said my Father. "Oh great." I thought. "Another prostitute." I hated when Dad got a prostitute in the house. It would mean a night of hearing their pleasures and other things. I can't sleep until 3 A.M when they are all tired out. Luckily, I have earbuds from Dad's old phone. I put them on and went to sleep. Tomorrow was another day in my horrible life.

My name is Gossamer, and this is my life.