Chapter 2

I woke up with a fright. I took deep breaths. What was I dreaming of? I couldn't remember. I got off the bed and slowly walked into the hallway. I heard Dad's snores as I walked past his door. I walked into the kitchen and made myself a bowl of cereal and milk. I turned on the television and watched some cartoons. Once I finished, and put the bowl in the sink and got a plastic bag. I opened the door and left the house.

It was colder than usual. The wind blew on my face and tumbled me back a bit. Once I regained balance, I put the back over my head. I couldn't get sick. There was no medicine in our house, or at least medicine that I was allowed to use. I trekked forward through the cold. I took off the bag to get some fresh air. As I did, though, I saw a woman with blonde hair. She was staring at me from the woods. It was strange though. It felt as if I knew the woman, like I knew her before. As soon as I looked at her, she walked back into the woods. I shrugged it off and continued my walk to school.

My school was a dump. It looked like it was in a warzone. It had vines everywhere, and there was a bunch of holes too. All the glass was broken. In the corners there would usually be drug dealers or gangs ready to beat anybody up if they felt like it. I walked into the courtyard with everyone else. My school is made up of cliques. There would be stereotypical cliques like the jocks, nerds, music freaks, emos, goths, gamers, and popular kids. Then there would be the bullies, the stoners, the larpers, the rich kids, the gossip kids, the kids who just read playboy magazines, and the homosexuals. There was also the outcasts, but they rejected me, which is ironic. The school bell rang, but fizzed out. I entered the school and went to my classroom. I took my seat, in the far left corner. My class was settled and my teacher, Ms. Donelli, took out her clipboard. "Take out your homework." She ordered. She went checking the class, and she frowned. "Gossamer, this is the 3rd time this week you've failed to hand in your homework." She said. "I know." I replied. Ms. Donelli gave me a stern look and checked her clipboard. "Tsk tsk." She muttered and moved on. As she moved on, I saw everyone look in my direction. They saw my plastic bag next to my feet. They tried to cover their laughs, but failed. Everyone started laughing at me, making me go red in embarrassment. "He's as red as a tomato!" Said one. "What a broke ass kid!" Said another. "I bet he's gonna be a gold digger!" Said a third. "QUIET!" Shouted Ms. Donelli. She looked at the class, then continued checking the homework. I sighed when a spitball hit my face. My classmates started chuckling. Suddenly, my classmates went silent after hearing a knock on the door. Ms. Donelli opened the door to see a kid in a hoodie. "Who are you?" She asked. "The new kid." The hooded figure replied. Ms. Donelli checked her computer. "Are you Wilson Romero?" She asked. The figure nodded yes. "Go take that empty seat, next to Gossamer." She said. Wilson made his way to me, and took his seat. "So, you're Gossamer?" He asked. "Yeah." I replied. I was surprised that Wilson was actually talking to me, but I didn't want to ruin this chance at a real friend. I stayed in my seat and said nothing, letting the lesson go by.

It was lunch time. Lunch was a horrible place. The food is disgusting, and there's not enough tables for everyone. If you didn't have a seat, you would need to eat somewhere else. There were only two places to eat: in the cafeteria, or in the balcony. The balcony is only entitled to the popular kids and the jocks. The bullies would guard the entrance. The balcony was the only part of the school in which it wasn't a dump. It was actually very clean. Everyone would love to have lunch in there, but the last kid who had THAT idea ended up getting an atomic wedgie and had to go through the rest of school with no pants. Since I am the only 'outcast' outcast, I eat near the garbage cans at the back of the cafeteria. I sat down and started to eat my lunch when I saw Wilson, eating against the wall, next to the balcony. I hoped he was smart enough not to try and go inside, cause that would cause him to be a bigger outcast than I am. I finished my lunch and the bell rang for recess.

I would usually hang out at the fence, but since the homo clique started crowding the place, I was forced to leave. Now I just sit next to the bushes, near the gamers. I went to see my usual bush when I saw Wilson, by himself in the middle of the mess. I couldn't stand to see him by himself, so went up to him. "Hey there." I said as I approached Wilson. "Oh, hey." He replied. "You know, you shouldn't stand in the middle of the courtyard like this." I informed. "Follow me." I added. Wilson stopped me in my tracks. "What do you mean by that?" He asked, quite annoyed. "Since your new here, you need to learn about how to survive Detroit Junior High. First tip of advice, stay clear from the bullies and their ringleader, Max Wellington." I sternly said. "Does he by any chance wear a leather jacket with ripped up jeans?" Wilson asked. "Yes. How did you know?" I replied. "Because he's coming over here." Wilson responded.