Chapter 9

JAKE'S POV

I picked her up and layed her on the bed. Her screams woke me up hours before and I just couldn't sleep. I've never heard her cry before. It hurt me that she wouldn't talk to me about the nightmare that caused her to act like that.

I kissed her forehead, careful not to wake her up. I stood up straight, popping my neck from sitting on the ground with her for so long. I sighed and walked out of our room.

I walked downstairs, knowing Damien would be in his study. It was morning time, but her screams still hounded my memory. I didn't knock once I reached the door, but walked in. He was in the middle of snorting a line. I shook my head, " That shit will kill you." I stated, walking closer.

" Shut up." He chuckled, setting the straw down. I noticed that he supported busted lip and a bruise on his right eye. He had another bruise that covered the left side of his jaw. My girl got him good.

I sat in the chair, opposite of him at his desk. " What's bugging you" He asked after I stayed quiet. He knew me too well.

" ... Its just something that Alice said." I finally admitted.

He gave me a grin. Oh, here we go. " She says some horrible shit to me. Don't take it to heart, little brother." He said. I rolled my eyes.

" She woke me up earlier... she was screaming. She never cries, Dee." I stated, worried. I sighed as he watched me, absorbing my words.

" I don't know, I don't want to make her spill her guts. But she screamed her ex's name. She was begging him to stop..." I said, trying to piece the puzzle together. Honestly, I was clueless. I just wanted to help her and I felt like I couldn't.

" What the fuck did he do to her?" He asked, concerned. I saw his eyes soften, wanting to know more himself.

" I dunno. Should I ask Tim?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "No, just ask her. Be there for her. She might need you more than you think." He stated simply.

I had to do a double take of him. I blinked, " What? You don't even like her." I said, narrowing my eyes.

He sighed, putting his fingers through his red hair. " Just because I don't like her, don't mean I don't care. She's your girl. If she ain't okay, then you're not okay. I'm not stupid." Be said, putting his dope back in his drawer with the straw.

Not stupid... Right.

I shrugged, " I guess I'll talk to her later." I sighed.

Damien nodded. " Well, how did that meeting go last night?" He put both of his hands flat on the desk, waiting for my answer.

I groaned, scratching the side of my head, " Shit."

He smirked. I went on, "They insulted me, then Al... Then Dad." His eyes narrowed. " Everything was fine at first. Conversation was smooth. Al played the perfect hostess, getting the drinks. Then Jim's bitch started shit." I sighed, remembering how angry I got.

" What happened?" He demanded after a few minutes of me finding my composure.

" Claudia disrespected dad. Alice put her in her place. Claudia tried hitting her," Damien visibly cringed. " Al shoved her. Jim pulled a gun out on her. She aimed her gun at Claudia. I pulled my gun out on Jim..." I paused again, getting angry. I could've lost her last night. One shot and she would've been dead. I would be all alone. So would Tim. It would've been my fault. I lied to make her come with me. I still felt like shit.

Hell, I still feel like shit. When she blew up at me for ignoring her, she was right. I should've dealt with the fights before anything else, but I got too caught up in work. I tugged at my ear lobe, beating myself up. God, I'm a dick.