Chapter One: He's the Man

I watched as he grabbed his shoes, (some sexy Jordans, might I add) and wipe the blood from the corner of his mouth. His shirt was torn, not really looking anything like a shirt anymore, but more like one big dirty rag. He got up from the ground, a grin spreading across his face as he saw me staring at him with big eyes.

"Aye! That look on your face! Wish I had my camera right now." He mocked, his heavy Maori accent buzzing through me like bees.

"Shut up Koro! Hurry the hell up before we get lock out! And here are your clothes." I watched him try to limp over to me, and grew impatient. I unwrapped a plastic target bag and handed him a shirt. His smile never faded, and I rolled my eyes as he discarded what was left of his old shirt and flexed his tanned muscles.

"Weight lifting has done me some good." He said, being careful to avoid hitting cuts and bruises as he put on a new tank top. I wrapped my curly hair on the top of my head into a hipster bun, thinking fondly of Tumblr's Embrace Messy Hair motto.

Speaking of messes.

You see, the reason why Koro was in such a jam was because some kid stole his shoes. What dumbass. Who steals from a buff Maori guy anyway? I mean, really? Anyway, Koro ended up beating the crap outta this boy and doing it where the security couldn't find him. The boy knew he couldn't tell anyone about it, or else Koro would have gone to his house and beat him up there.

Oh yeah, and there's me. Not Maori, but still Polynesian, since I have Hawaiian, Samoan, and Tahitian blood. The rest was European ranges like: French, Irish, English, Scottish, and more. Brown hair, light brown eyes, fair skin. A little on the chunky side. I Socially okay, I moved clicks but mostly stayed with my drama free friends, and I liked it that way. I just happened to always get Koro out of trouble, so I was given the title as "Best friend". Of course, this is high school and there are those teenagers who like to spread rumors. Koro and I hung out a lot, raising suspicion among the good ol' peers, and I started receiving dirty looks from girls.

And Koro? He was oblivious.

One of Kahuku's finest, with dark brown hair, mysterious eyes, a body worth a noble-prize and a voice that made girls melt away.

And was it possible that I may be in love with him?

Maybe... Probably? I DON'T KNOW.

Whatever though. I was just gonna put my feelings aside, cause he doesn't even see me that way.

Come to think of it, he could get any girl he wanted.

We started walking to class, then jogging because the tardy bell could ring at any second. Just as the bell's high pitched ringing went off, Koro and I stepped into the classroom doors and walked to the shiny silver table by the windows.

"Hello! Mr. Mere Iwi and Ms. Redrickson! Gooood morning." Mrs. Florimonte chimed. The short, dirty-blonde haired woman was holding a large box of paints and pastels, so Koro had offered to carry it. "Hey Miss? What are we doing today?"

"Oh, impressionistic paints. By the way, figure drawings are due by today." Koro scowled, and I chuckled to myself knowing he had nothing on the paper. "Well, if your gonna laugh, you might as well do it for me." He put on his best flirtatious look, one I had seen one times too many. I glared back, saying "Are you fricken kidding me? Again? Do your own damn work!"

"I'll buy you new shoes."

"Whatever."

"Shoes, the latest apple watch, and a bag." I narrowed my eyes

"Those shoes better be a rare find Vans, the watch gold or pink, and the bag is—"

"I know, I know! It's the the tribal print from Zumiez!" He gave me a big bear hug, crushing my lungs and cracking my back, saying thank-you over and over again. I yanked the paper from his hands, grumbling to myself.

The things I do for this guy I swear...