Prologue

November 1st, 1982

New Jersey Times
Headline Article
Missing Child Report

As the town of Belleville, New Jersey awoke this morning it seemed as if it was a normal day. To Donna Way, it definitely was not. Only a few weeks after giving birth to her second child, she let her eldest son Gerard Way, age 4, trick or treat on his own. Gerard was told not to leave the neighborhood. He obliged. Donna recalls seeing him heading home and than he was gone.

"One minute he was here, the next he was gone." Donna says. We watched as she took care of her younger son and tried to search for the older boy. "I have no idea what to do. My son is gone, missing." Once Donna put little Mikey to bed, we had a chance to speak with Donna. "I don't know if he left on his own or if he was taken from me but I have one thing to say, if he's out there make sure he's safe and that he comes home safe."

We'll have more on the story when more details come.

-

December 5th, 1983

New Jersey Times
Headline Article
Missing Child Report Update

Missing Child Presumed Dead After Over A Year Of Searching

Belleville Police called it quits this morning after searching for Gerard Way, now age 5, for over a year. Way went missing on Halloween of last year and hasn't been seen since. Police believe he is no longer in the state and if he is, someone has done a very good job of hiding him.

Heartbroken mother Donna Way explains what it's like to lose her son.

"Christmas didn't feel the same without Gerard running downstairs with a smile on his face. I still buy presents for him on holidays thinking he'll come home one day. But he never does and they just sit there. Every holiday it gets harder and harder for me. But I still can't believe that he's gone. It hasn't registered in my mind yet. When I order food out, I always buy for Gerard too. When I call Gee down for dinner and he never comes, that's when it hits me. I don't think it will ever register."

There will be a service held for Gerard this Saturday at Belleville Catholic Church at 12pm.