Choice

Marinette decided to head home, away from the danger and stress, while Alya decided to stay back in order to keep up with the blog-worthy action. Marinette had tried to talk her out of staying. She didn't want Alya to get hurt. But Alya wouldn't change her mind, and Marinette had an important choice to make.

"Marinette!" sighed her parents once she'd walked in the door.

"I'm so glad you're alright. Stay here, okay? You'll be safer in the house." Marinette's father hugged his beloved daughter tightly.

"Okay, Papa." She answered, kissing him on the cheek before climbing up the stairs to her bedroom.

Once in the solitary safety of her room, she sank into her computer chair and put her head in her arms. What was she going to do? Another akuma attack. Chat Noir could handle this one, right? He was perfectly capable of fighting one villain alone, right?

Mari switched her computer to where Alya was live streaming on her blog.

"I finally found Class Clown's lair! Alya whispered energetically.

Marinette watched thoughtfully. Alya was doing a better job of being a hero than she ever had. What would've happened if she had managed to give the Miraculous to Alya on the first day of school? Things would be different. Maybe she could still change her mind and give the blogger the choice to be Ladybug.

"It's not looking too great at the moment," Alya reported. "It seems that she's trapped Chat Noir in one of her traps. I'm trying to figure out a way to help. Ol' Clowny's out and about doing who knows what. I've got no idea for sure whether Ladybug is on her way, but I have complete faith in her."Alya stared sincerely into the camera. "Ladybug, if you're out there... we need you. I need you. Chat Noir needs you." Alya pointed the camera at Chat, who was gagged and tied to a podium in front of an abandoned classroom.

Marinette tugged at her empty earlobes. Chat had no way out of a trap and Alya was in danger of being attacked by an akumatized fiend. Only she could purify the akuma.

It was disconcerting not to feel the smooth black earrings in her ears. Maybe it was time for them to be put back where they belonged.

Nervously, with hands shaking like crazy, Marinette pulled open the drawer and slowly extracted the small box containing her Miraculous.