Chapter 5 - The Promotion

I dropped Ellie off at daycare and went to work. I sat down at my desk, and walked into my boss's room. I worked for a reporting company. I was the boss's secretary. I started to check emails.

"Emma!! Emma!! Emma!!" My boss hollers.

I straighten my skirt and walk into her office. "Yes ma'am?" I ask.

"You have someone important coming in today," Miss Grantham says.

"Me?" I ask.

"Is your name Emma? Is the sky blue? Yes, they're coming for you. They'll be here soon," she says.

Soon later, a man in a suit comes in. "Hello," he says firmly as he shakes my hand. "Mr. Carter."

"Emma Swan," I smile.

"I know who you are, Miss Swan. I believe you know that I am the CEO of Carter News." I nod. "I am here to give you a promotion. How would you like to be a reporter?"

"Oh my, I mean, that would be wonderful! Thank you!"

"Now, this would mean you'd have to be relocated...to Storybrooke, Maine."

I look shocked. Sure, a promotion sounded great, but to move me and my daughter across the country? I didn't know.

"It's a great offer, Emma," Miss Grantham adds.

"Thank you sir. Would I have time to consider accepting this?"

"Yes, you have 24 hours. I will be back tomorrow," he says. His phone buzzes. "If you'd excuse me, I have a meeting to get to. Goodbye, Miss Swan."

"Goodbye Mr. Carter. And thank you!" He leaves, and I sigh. I turn to Miss Grantham. "What do I do?" I sigh and sit down in the seat in front of her desk.

"Simple. You accept."

"But to move my daughter across the country?"

"How badly do you want to be a reporter, Emma? How badly do you want it?"

"Next to my daughter's happiness, it's the most important thing in my life."

"Then do it. Just do it."

"Thanks, Miss Grantham," I say, before going back to my desk.

Later that day, I contacted Mr. Carter. I made up my mind. I was moving to Maine.