Chapter 9

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays passed without any sign of Corey. That Tuesday afternoon, Zack called and I told him what I knew. I tried calling Corey twice a day those three days, but they all went to voicemail. By Friday morning I was a little disheartened. How long would Corey be gone? I kept thinking that I was never going to see him again, but I knew that that was just the pessimism talking.

The bell rang, signalling the end of period. I packed up my stuff and headed for the cafeteria. It was lunch and I was starving from missing dinner the previous night. I bought myself a couple of sandwiches before heading for the courtyard. It was a sunny day, not a cloud in the sky and perfect weather to have lunch outside. Upon reaching the courtyard, I realized I wasn’t the only one with the same idea. The various benches were already full with students. Some sat underneath those big umbrellas while others sat on the grass. I walked to the quietest area near the library. There were still a number of students there but less so than the rest of the courtyard.

I was just about to sit on the grass when something caught my attention. My heart skipped a beat and my breathing stopped. All I could do was stand, staring across the grass to the person standing there. Part of me wanted to run to him, wrapping him in my arms and never letting go. The other part wanted to slap him across the face and wipe that smile off. How could he be smiling when he just disappeared for a week? My conflicting emotions made me stand rooted to the spot.

He approached me, a little faster than I expected. When he was a couple of feet away I expected him to stop. “What were you thinking runni…” I was cut off with him crashing his lips into mine. The feeling of déjà vu came over me, remembering our first kiss together. My eyes were wide open but he had his closed shut. I looked around and noticed some people around staring at us. I finally came to enough sense to push him away. “What are you doing? There are people around!” I whisper shouted.

“I don’t care Kyle. I am so sorry.” He said, pulling me into a tight hug. I couldn’t help but put my arms around him and return it. The warmth that I was craving so much for the past week was back. His warmth. “I shouldn’t have worried about us. There was nothing to be worried about.”

I pulled away, looked around and a small crowd had gathered around us. I looked at their faces and they mostly had smiles of their faces. I felt myself blush and pulled Corey away with me, in search for a more private area. Finally we stopped behind the library and thankfully, the onlookers didn’t follow. I turned back to him. I stared at him and he stared back, and I did the only thing I could think of, I slapped him. Not really hard or anything but enough to hurt him. He put his hand to his cheek, rubbing the sore spot. “I guess I deserved that.” He said. I then proceeded to pull him into a hug, one so tight I must have been suffocating him, but he didn’t pull away, instead, wrapping his arms around me.

“I know I owe you a lot of explaining but whatever I said I meant. I don’t want to hide anymore. I am proud to have you as my boyfriend and that isn’t something I want to hide.” I sighed and pulled away from the hug.

“I’m glad. I really am. But is this really what you want? Emotions can make you say things that you don’t really mean.” He looked at me, thinking for a moment.

“You’re right. I’m letting my emotions think for me.” I sighed and dropped his hand that was in mine. However, he reclaimed it immediately and held it tight. “But I know that my emotions are right, because…I love you Kyle.” I didn’t know what I felt at that point. My heart felt like it was flying, like any moment it was going to burst out of my chest. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t think. All I did was stand there dumbstruck. Slowly Corey leaned in and kissed me again. I can’t tell you how good that kiss was, knowing that he loved me was too much that I could bear. He softly sucked on my lower lip but never ventured further. There was no lust, just love.