1.Manhattan - My Hometown

I've never been called "typical",  ever. I was the most untypical person you could find on the Upper West Side, but here she was calling me typical.

Sarah Worchester, my on-off long time girlfriend and full time bestfriend. She was standing in front of me hands on her hips with her clothes still as neat as ever. I loved it when she was angry. I sighed in disapproval, " Look Sarah, you're moving to London next week. We're best friends, I get it, but our relationship just won't bear the distance. Let's just call it truce and foster our friendship. "

She looked at me and exhaled deeply, " Okay, fine.It's useless debating with you anyway, you've always had a hard head." She looked at me one last time before leaping into my arms, just hugging me. My arms were limp at my sides, I didn't know what to do exactly yet instinctively my hands moved up, hugging her back.

We stayed like that for quite some time before she finally let go, " Friends then?" she said as she smiled faintly. I smiled, "Hmph, I thought you would never ask."

I walked her back home in a pondering silence.  My thoughts wafted in the cold winters air. It was Friday and tomorrow, my best friend would be gone, far away and on Monday I would have to go back to school. This time, alone. Billzard High will never be the same again.

As we approached her house she turned towards me, " When we promised each other friendship, you promised to be there for me.And me for you, I guess. I hope we both live up to our word. Distance can change people, I know from personal experience. I hope that distance changes us...for the better." She leaned in once more for a long embrace. I stood there captivated by the formality of it all and after another long moment, she let go.

I watched her go up her driveway and disappear into the darkness beyond the door. The setting sun was no more as the moon began to rise. I walked back to my house which was a few blocks away. As I walked down the lonely streets , I peered up at the moon. It was full moon, in all its glory, I watched as the evening clouds turned to nothing but starry skies.

I was taking awfully long to get home, I skipped all the shortcuts along the way,wanting some "me time". I finally saw my house on the street's horizon, it was a huge gate mostly, working its way up to a massive 5km driveway which led to Winklebury Estate.
I approached the huge gates soon enough, I punched the pass code in and waited for the high gates to open. My thoughts were distant from my body and I began daydreaming on the way home.

Before I knew it I reached the mansion door, noticing it to be unlocked, I pushed my way through and entered the house.

The passage way once filled with Victorian furniture was gone.  Everything gone. I called out, "Mother! What's going on?" Only a faint echo came as a reply. I became scared but it was all gone when I saw my mom come out of the kitchen, " Hey hun, guess what? We're moving."

I couldn't really comprehend with what my mom was saying at that very moment but i did hear "We're moving." I gave her a baffled look as I stammered, "Wait..w..what? We're...moving to London?"

My mom looked at me, more baffled then I was, "Who said anything about London? We're going to Goldfields in KwaZulu Natal ."
I looked at her in a mortifying face, "KwaZulu Natal? Where the hell is that, Angola?"
"Not Angola, honey. South Africa."
"We're going to Africa?"
She nodded.
A million thoughts flew through my head. I mean, Africa is nice and all but my life is here. I exhale sharply, "Mum, don't you think you should think this over a bit more? Our life is here in Manhattan not in a little rondavel in Southern Africa."

My mom looked at me and grabbed my shoulders, staring me in the eye, "Look, Jacob. We aren't going to be living like ranchers or farmers. Just go on the net and look up South Africa. Its quite a marvel. We need a fresh start." I looked at her and nodded. Without saying a word, a strolled up the stairs to my room which suprisingly, was totally intact. I crashed on my bed and heaved my MacBook on the bed, opening up the search window. I typed in: South Africa. An array of information and pictures popped up.

I read and read until my mind was ready to explode. I shut my computer and laid on my bed, thinking. Life here wouldn't be the same without Sarah anyways. Maybe this could be my chance to start afresh. Like a new chapter to a thrilling book. I pondered over it the whole night and at about 2AM I decided to sleep on my thoughts, hoping for a more clear conclusion the next morning.

That night I had a weird dream:

I was on a plane as I looked out into the glorious landscapes below. The rivers, the valley's and the mountains , all in perfect serenity. I peered toward the aeroplanes tail to find a foreign flag. It read: South African Airways. I then felt the plane beginning to descend and soon I saw a city, a huge city with a sparkling coastline. The plane landed in the airport.

The flight attendant pleasantly ushered us off the plane as I walked toward the terminal doors.
I arrived at the luggage counter and instinctively picked up a suitcase. I pulled it behind me on its wheels. I continued towards the local terminal and as I passed through the doors I looked up and saw my mom and two others . The unknown people pointed to me with an excited look as they rushed down. I carried on my path and I arrived at the Airport commons and before I knew it I felt arms around me. My mom let go and the other two said: "Welcome Home."