Preface

"Davies... Davies... Davies, if you don't answer right now, detention for a month... DAVIES!" My teacher screamed without ever even looking up. He never checked, not once. If he had looked up that day, he might have saved a life. He might have noticed how I was screaming at him. I was screaming at everyone. It seemed as though no one could hear me. I was scared, and worried.

If my teacher had looked up, he would have seen the only empty seat in the room, mine. He would have called the attendance office, they would have told him I didn't call in sick today. They would have begun a search for me, that's what they did for people who cut class, right? When they found out I hadn't cut class, they would have called home. My mother would have told them I didn't come home last night. Then, they'd have called the cops, and they would have traced back my entire night, and I could have been saved. I wouldn't have died, and my murderer would have been caught. But I didn't want that, now did I? I didn't want him dead and more than he wanted me dead. He only ever meant to save me, it was the other one who killed me. The other him, the one on the other side of his mind. The one called Janus.

"Absent," my teacher said with complete certainty.