Chapter Four

I'm sorry this chapter is so short! But you'll enjoy the next one, promise! ;)

-----------------------------------------------

"John!" I screamed. Almost as soon as I had finished yelling, he was here. He was already crouched down next to me, reaching out to grab my face. His brow was furrowed as worry crossed over his face.

"What is it? What's the matter?" He said fervently. I answered with, "I'm fine..." He quickly did a scan down of my body, to make sure I wasn't hurt. When he was content with the search, he smiled. I was perfectly fine. He did a nervous laugh and told me to never do that to him again. I quickly quieted him and pointed to the television.

"The Victorian killed again last night... That's his 9th confirmed victim, the third in this area alone. When will he stop?" I turned to face John and a tear fell down my face. "I'm worried! How do we know we're even safe now? We don't, that's how..." I said. I thought of all the girls that I babysit. I thought of my brother. Were they safe? I knew my brother was, as the Ripper only targets women. I had thought the girls I babysit were safe, but then he killed that 14 year old. The girls he killed were mostly prostitutes and promiscuous women, but that little girl was completely innocent. That's what led the police to believe she had been an accident.

“Listen, as long as you’re with me, you’re safe,” John comforted. He slowly lifted me up and sat down on the bean bag, placing my back down on his lap. He changed the channel to something other than the news, and he pulled me close. “You will not be harmed, I know it,” The light repetitive sound of his accent was soothing, but not soothing enough.

“But how do you know? I could die! I could be killed! Or worse…” My thoughts trailed off and I realized how ridiculous I sounded. “That’s alright, though. I know I can’t be harmed while you’re here,” I smiled and leaned up to kiss him, just as Parker came barreling through the door.

“Avery! Mom wants you-“ He stopped dead, his eyes widened and a smile crept onto his face. His hand raised a pointed finger, “I’m going to tell Mom!” He slowly began to sink back towards the door. I leapt out of John’s arms, faster than I, and my gym teacher, thought ever possible. I closed the door and looked down on him.

“Parker, you are not to say a word of this, not to anyone,” I threatened, raising my eyebrow.

“And if I do?” Parker asked, testing his limits.

“Then I will tell mom about your ‘experiments’. If you don’t, I’ll take you to the arcade tonight,” I promised. I saw his face light up as he nodded.

“Okay! But mom wants you to come do the laundry,” Parker said quickly, and then he was off.

Damn. I turned to face John, an apologetic look already plastered on my face. “I’m so sorry. I forgot about our night!” He laughed and shook his head.

“It’s alright, we can reschedule,” He gave me a kiss and then headed out the door, one last look at me before he closed it behind him. I sunk down into my bean bag chair, and gave off a sigh.