Chapter 2

Monday 4PM 

Landon’s POV

God, I needed to find this girl. This was going to be hard. How the hell am I supposed to find this girl in this chaotic party city? The wedding chapel didn't help me at all with this. All I had were these damn photos from the alleged wedding and my iPhone. I've been looking at them for a while now. Kathryn Anne Stratford is her name. She's a pretty girl I'll give her that. Standing next to me at the alter, she looked tiny, so tiny I think I could tuck her into my pocket. I've always been attracted to tall, slender women. Why I ended up marrying her is beyond me. I honestly could not have been thinking straight when we got married, what with all the alcohol I had consumed I couldn't even remember I married her. The only proof I had that we were married was this stupid marriage license and certificate. Oh yeah, and these photos. 

I've been looking long and hard at these pictures somehow hoping that they would disappear and that this whole fucked up situation would be just a dream or maybe it would give away clues as to where Kathryn was. I had no idea what I was to do...

Kevin came bounding into the suite. 

“So… I kind of need this suite tonight.” Kevin mumbles as he disappears into his room.

I don’t even bother to follow him so instead I call out, “What was that?”

He pops his head out from the doorframe, “I’m going to need the suite tonight.”

“Why?” I ask but he doesn’t immediately respond so I know it’s for a girl. And after the last time I let him have our place all to himself and a random girl, he had ruined my furniture. And now I’m a little hesitant to let him have it. “A girl?”

He nods slowly. Before I could tell him no he begins to beg and spew out a long and detailed explanation, “Oh come on, please? I really need this. She’s not just some girl—”

“Oh really?” I challenged him.

“Yeah, she’s special. Remember when I told you about the American girl I spent the summer with in Italy?”

“The one from the study abroad program?” 

“Yeah, her! It’s crazy but I just ran into her downstairs”

“You’re kidding, and there’s not one ounce of sarcasm with that.” I was truly surprised because what are the chances of him seeing her again? From what he had told me, she was perfect. They were perfect together. And after spending 3 months in one of the most romantic countries in the world together Kevin said she was someone he would never forget, even if he tried.

He finally brings himself out of his room and happily sighs, “You’re just as surprised as I am. I never thought I’d get to see her ever again.” He shakes his head in disbelief, “And I’m going to hate myself for saying this in front of you because I know I’ll never hear the end of it. But I always thought of her as the one that got away.”

I stifled a laugh intentionally, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to laugh.”

Regret immediately flashes through his face as he leaves to retire into his room.

He was already in his room when I called out, “Kev, I’m sorry. You can have the suite tonight. I’ll find something to do.” 

Once again, he reappears with a smile on his face and says, “Thanks. And also, I forgot to mention you’re hanging out with her friend while we catch up.”

 He knows I won’t say no. I can’t say no. He has been there for me countless times. He came with me to make sure I was alright while I went after Charlotte. Lately, he hasn’t had any luck with women. He’s the type of guy who would put in his best effort into a relationship. He never held anything back. And since he has been in a bit of a relationship slump I’d do anything to help him out. And if being his wingman for one night will make him happy, I’ll do it.