Chapter11: Weightless

She still hadn't taken a breath, or even attempted to answer Pan. Wendy was froze in uncertain conflict, & certain desperation. Of course she wanted nothing more than freedom. Of course she wanted more time to freeze. However, within the circle of her existence, these things were not allowed. A young woman speaking her mind? What a devastating thing graced unto her father. Her father...

Wendy thought about the man for a moment, whose arms used to be so safe & warm, whose demeanor used to be kind & gentle. He was transformed into a bitter, selfish person, a complete stranger to Wendy. Or was it always this way? Bitter childhood memories drowned from the amber in the crystal glasses & the thick fog that choked her as it floated from her father's study. Was he always this crude, this brash? Had it never occurred to Wendy what it meant to grow, what she would possibly see? She began to miss her ignorance. Sweet bliss, unknowingly living on through a world that would slowly consume her spirit.

"Wendy Bird?" Her attention returned to Pan, who was still holding her hands while floating just outside her window. Her senses were filled with the cool night of London. It was a shockingly clear night; a waning crescent moon sat watching the scene between the two. "You said you trusted me, right?" The girl's answer was a nod full of uncertainty. "Wrap your arms around me."

"What?" Wendy blurted out after being quiet for so long, & it gifted her ears with Pan's throaty chuckle.

"Thought maybe you had lost your voice." Wendy could feel the chilling numbness creeping under her skin. "What's so different from a moment ago?" Now, Wendy was caught at the expense of her needing comfort, seeking it in Pan's embrace. She could refuse, & appear as a hypocritical, entitled brat, as her father had commented in the past. Wendy began to see where her insecurities had stemmed, & once more, she was distracted by her thoughts. With a soft whistle, Pan's eyebrows lifted expectantly, awaiting her to fulfill his request. Wendy had the feeling he wouldn't be accepting no for an answer. After a moment, she found her voice again.

"You aren't taking me away, are you?" Her question was coy yet honest. She was planning to gauge his reaction, but he simply gave her half a grin.

"Only if you let me, Wendy Bird." He was impossible to read, not at all like her many books, filled with secrets easily found. But this young man, this Pan, was clandestine, & it was all locked behind two emeralds.

"Why is it you call me that?" She asked Pan as she wrapped her arms around his neck. Pan scooped her up slowly in his arms. His piercing green eyes never left her gaze. Wendy thought that maybe he was just as entranced, but she knew very little of romance. Romance?  Wendy really wasn't liking where her mind was wandering off to. Besides, she needed to keep a clear head around him, he was still a stranger to her. Right? What would a young lady do? she thought, but he only laughed & leaned in close. Looking around, she saw the city of London stretched out before her, a bright mass of twinkling lights. Just below them to the right was the roof of her home. Subconsciously, Wendy's arms wrapped tighter around Pan.

"Call you what? Wendy Bird?" While Wendy continued to admire the scenery, a smile found itself on her lips. Pan was now being the coy one, & he was much better at it than she.

"Yes, that." Laughter danced from her mouth & it almost sounded out of place; it felt like an unfamiliar friend. Just earlier she was broken for her brother & now she deftly floated above her home, above reality, above every trouble that engulfed her, with a young man who could have easily been a dream.

"You don't like it?"

"Well, I never said that," Wendy laughed once more at Pan's faux frown. "I was only curious as to why-"