Down the rabbit hole

Daphne waits at the end of the hall, nervously biting her nails. As soon as she catches a glimpse of me she hurries in my direction, with a few worried glances around.

"So?" she asks anxiously. I scan the room to make sure that no one is listening.

"I've got it," I answer with a smirk. For a moment, Daphne's expression remains blank, before she finally smiles triumphantly.

"Oh my god, I can't believe you did it," she mumbles astonished. I frown.

"Thank you for your faith in me," I mutter bitterly. Daphne rolls her eyes.

"You know what I mean, it's Elias, I still haven't found someone good enough to manipulate him," she justifies herself. I look away while trying to hide my discomfort.

"Well, now you've found me," I lie uneasy. Daphne doesn't notice it and simply nods vigorously.

"So? Did you have sex?" she teases me with a nudge. I immediately blush.

"No!" I protest a bit too loud. A few people turn around to cast me a disapproving glare and I wave my hand as an apology. They immediately go back to doing...well, whatever it is that the analysts do. Daphne licks her lips with a smirk.

"You liar," she accuses me mockingly. My blush deepens.

"I'm not a liar," I insist, hoping somehow, that she will drop the subject. Daphne chuckles.

"Yeah right, you've still got hay on your clothes and hair." I immediately check myself before my brain registers her words.

"Hay?" I question incredulously. Daphne nods before popping her lips.

"You know, hay? Like when people used to live in farms, and teenagers would make out behind their parent's backs, in the barn. So, when they came out they would be covered in hay. Girl, you've been strolling in hay, I can tell," she states while with a fake southern accent. I roll my eyes.

"Okay, so maybe we've kissed...a little," I add timidly. Daphne suffocates a girly squeal before squeezing my arm.

"How much is a little?" she inquires excitedly. I sigh.

"Nothing under the belt," I finally confess. Daphne can't hide a disappointed frown but she still giggles.

"Well, guess there's nothing you wouldn't do for a case," she teases me again. My blush now is so intense that my face has become purple.

"I didn't...!!!" I start irritated. Daphne nods.

"What? Did you kiss Elias for another reason?" she taunts me, feigning innocence and my jaw drops to the floor. She got me. Either I'm an ambitious whore, who sleeps with guys to gain something, or I'm a pathetic loser who can't get over her asshole ex-boyfriend.

"Fine. I did it for the job," I mutter gloomily.

"So, do we still agree that Elias is an asshole?"

"Of course," I groan and Daphne raises her hands in surrender.

"Okay, I was just checking." A minute passes before she speaks again.

"Was it good? Is he a good kisser?" she asks unable to contain herself. I bite my lip and look around again, then I lean forward.

"Like you wouldn't believe," I whisper maliciously.

"But..." I add while raising a finger.

"We still hate his guts," I warn her and Daphne nods.