Dang!erous

With wobbling legs, I walk towards what might be my biggest and most dangerous mission so far. My heart is pounding so hard in my chest I'm afraid it might jump out at any second. Sweat is nestling on my palms and foreheads and I scrub them on my shirt with a frown.

There is a rash where my hands touched the ghouls, residual effect of the toxic substance that covers their skin. But I'm lucky, usually, people die, they don't get a rash. Perks of being able to heal from everything. My body is not only able to sustain injuries, it also washes out any toxin, faster than most people.

Suddenly I turn back.

"Daphne, I can't do this, let's just abort the mission," I whisper in the earplug. An annoyed hiss resonates in my right ear.

"Lysandre, if you don't turn around right this second, I swear I'm going to hunt you down and kick your ass to yesterday," she warns me darkly. I gulp. Well, that's what I call positive encouragement.

"But you don't understand, I don't know what to say. I suck at this, it will be a disaster, and I'm not even dressed appropriately," I start blurting out. I'm literally freaking out. Daphne halts me.

"Lysandre, your clothes are perfect, I should know, I picked them out myself," she informs me, and I can almost visualize her proud grin.

"But what if I say something stupid," I ask panicked. Daphne sighs.

"Lysandre, you always say something stupid. That's why you have me, remember? I will be with you every step of the way," she reminds me calmly.

"Now breathe and move your ass!" she scolds me and I jump as if she had yelled directly in my face. With a stiff walk, I step towards the restaurant. From afar I recognize Alex's silhouette and my breathing quickly becomes a pant. I moan internally.

"Daphne, he's already here, what do I do?!" I shriek in the earplug. Daphne snorts.

"I don't know, say "hi" maybe?" she mocks me and I frown. Reading my hesitation Daphne continues.

"You can do it Lysandre, yesterday you almost died, and you've kicked more asses then I can count, what's a stupid date compared to that?" she tries to infuse some courage in me. I shake my head.

"I'd rather fight with another ghoul," I grunt disheartened.

"It's not like it's your first date," she then tries to remind me. The thought makes me groan in annoyance.

"Sure Daphne, remind me of my asshole ex who lied to me and manipulated me, that's exactly what I need to boost my self-esteem," I taunt her gloomily. She clears her throat.

"Sorry. But just because Elias was an ass, doesn't mean Alex is too," she then adds more firmly.

"You're one to talk. You stay away from men because of some stupid tradition that says that men are assholes," I retort sharply.

"It's a matter of principle," she retorts coldly. I chuckle.

"Yeah right, just like with Jared," I tell her right before stopping in front of Alex. Timidly I come into his visual and blush when I see his intake of breath, while his eyes trail over my body.

"Wow, Lys, you're radiant," he compliments me, and I blush graciously. Or at least I hope it is gracious, though I suspect I look more like a stuttering pathetic bundle of nerves. Alex offers me his elbow and I slide my arm into the crook of his arm.

"If you really must know, I actually slept with Jared, a couple of weeks ago, but he dumped me," Daphne replies peevishly with a delay. She drops this bomb on me just as I am entering the restaurant and I can't help but scream "What?!" forgetting the fact that I am not alone.