The enforcer

I step into the department and let the warmth engulf me while greeting Marsha, the receptionist, a very nice Wiccan. I walk towards my desk and see Daphne sitting at hers, her back turned to me. Great, she's still sulking.

"Ehi, Daphne,"I say with an overexaggerated cheerfulness. She nods briskly in return before proceeding to ignore me. I sigh.

"Seriously?" I question incredulously. Daphne turns to look at me, her gaze cold and distant.

"What?" she asks in a flat and bored tone. I arch an eyebrow,

"Shouldn't we talk about this, instead of acting like 1st graders?" I suggest, hoping to reason her. Daphne shrugs.

"There's nothing to talk about, you made it very clear who you're rooting for," she states. I shake my head in disbelief.

"Oh come on, this is childish and ridiculous, I'm not rooting for anyone!" I protest. Daphne gives me a pointed look, before walking away, bumping into Jared in the process, without apologizing. Jared stares at her puzzled, before taking off his coat with a questioning expression.

"What's up with her?" he asks. I frown.

"You should know," I tease him half-heartedly. Jared only seems more puzzled.

"Uh?" Is his brilliant comment. Behold people, one of the department's elite agent. He may know how to hold a gun, but he doesn't know jack shit about women. Typical of men, immortal or not.

"Let me give you a hint. You, Daphne, no clothes," I mock him playfully. Jared blushes.

"Oh...so you know," he realizes. I shrug.

"What do you think?" Jared scratches the back of his head uneasy.

"Yeah, about that- " he starts before I cut him off.

"I don't care, for all I know, you're both wrong, and acting like stubborn kids. I'm not getting involved again, you want someone to talk to, talk to Daphne." Jared sighs annoyed.

"How? You know her better than me, she's impossible to talk to!" he defends himself. I arch an eyebrow.

"Because you're soooo much better," I taunt him. Jared mumbles something incoherent under his breath and I roll my eyes, but before I can retaliate, a small gnome tugs on my sleeve.

"Excuse me, Agent Muerte?" he asks. I nod and he hands me a file.

"The boss wants to see you," he informs me before walking away. Surprised I stare at the file. Boss? Does that mean Ambrose is back? Excited, I almost run to her office, kicking her door open, only to be greeted by the sight of a tall and muscular blonde woman, with Norse features. The woman offers me a charming and poised smile while indicating the empty chair in front of her.

"Agent Muerte, I was expecting you over half an hour ago," is the first thing to come out of her mouth. I sigh inwardly.

If this is my new boss, we're clearly off to a very bad start.

                                                                                 ***

I stand awkwardly in the door frame, dancing from one foot to another while staring at what I assume to be my new boss.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I finally ask, skipping the formalities. If she's going to be my new boss, she better get used to my lack of "education", as Ambrose so gracefully phrased it a while ago.