Shit stained fences

My steps are determined when I reach the office again. I stomp towards Daphne's desk and stop in front of it, my presence commanding attention. She doesn't even flinch and continues to tap lightly on her keyboard. Until I clear my throat, almost menacingly, and with a sigh, she raises her exquisite face towards me.

"What? she asks with a boredom that's not so exquisite. Nymphs and their charms.

"We need to talk," I inform her matter-of-factly. She stifles a yawn. What a poser, I think.

"We are talking," she retorts dryly. I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest while leaning against the desk.

"Daphne, I'm not choosing a side. Honestly, grow up," I scold her, forgetful of the fact that she's a couple of decades older than me. But who is counting, right? She frowns.

"I'm your best friend," she reminds me bitterly. I arch an eyebrow.

"I'm your only friend," she adds. Ooch, that stung!

"I don't see a lot of other friends hanging around you now," I comment tauntingly. She leans back in her chair, not quite ready to admit defeat, but perhaps a tad more reasonable than before.

"Fine then, talk," she concedes with a tired wave of the hand.

"I'm gonna skip the pep talk about us both being grown women," I start before being interrupted by a haughty snort.

"Well, at least one of us is," she mocks. I scoff.

"I'll have to agree with you on that point," I admit. She hisses in annoyance and I decide to change my approach. One never knows when dealing with such fleeting creatures, one might get more than what he bargained for. I've seen Daphne in action when she's really angry, and I am so not going through that. Imagine Hiroshima, now multiply it by infinite and you're not even close to knowing how devastating and earth-shattering her anger is.

"Listen, if Jared turns out to be an asshole..." I stop mid-sentence.

"Well, more of an asshole than I give him credit for," I add and Daphne can't help but smile briefly.

"In that case, I'll back you up a hundred percent. All I want is for you talk to him first, give him a chance to explain himself," I conclude, anxious for an answer. Daphne seemed to ponder the matter.

"If he turns out to be a real asshole, you'll help me exact my revenge?" she asks suspiciously. I nod firmly.

"I'll cut his manhood if I have to." The thought makes Daphne grin, although I can't see why, she seems to quite enjoy his manhood, enough to get upset about sharing it.

"Deal," she concedes, stretching out a pale blue hand. I shake it and she smiles.

"No spitting?" she questions half-jokingly. I frown and Daphne chuckles. I guess we're back to business as usual, which includes going to the rooftop and indulge in the sweet pleasure of inhaling smoky cancer, and of course, trashing my new boss.

                                                               ***

Daphne holds her stomach while leaning forward, erratic jolts shaking her body.

"Really?" she asks incredulously in between fits of laughter. I inhale deeply in contentment and nod.

"Yup. That woman has got a broom stuck so far up her ass, she can't even sit straight," I state and Daphne chuckles lightly.

"At least Ambrose got laid often enough that she'd be bearable," Daphne comments and my thoughts suddenly grow darker at the mention of our previous boss.