Getting Ready

Hi sorry for the delay, I had so much to do, and I was stuck. I knew what I wanted but could not find a way to express it. Hopefully you will enjoy how it turned out. 

I would like to dedicate this chapter to another writer, who has been reading the story and pointing out that I was late in updating. Thank you Briony (crazybri1981), you actually gave me the push I needed to sit down and do it.

*******************************************************************************************************

December 23, 19:30 (7:30 pm) 

John is mesmerized by the sales woman that is explaining him how to set up the artic tent. If I was in his position I would be just as careful. The more I think about it the less I like it. I revise the plan in my head again.

Tomorrow morning we are planning to fly to the crash site. There, we will lower by rope four suitcases full of equipment. John will then rappel down and have a couple of hours to set up the tent and rest of equipment before what many are naming already the storm of the century. All in the hope that he will be able to dig below the tent, reach the aircraft door and hold Marco’s hand while Search and Rescue crews will make it there in a couple of days.  I cannot help shacking my head. I look at John again and notice the young woman looking at me. What is on her face? Does she realizes what I am thinking?

“John, can I talk to you for a minute?” He looks at me and he too must realize my mood.

“Do we have to go through it again Markus?”

“Yes, because this idea of yours is crazy!” I look at the woman and add, “Could we please have a minute.”

“Sure,” she adds with a polite smile. She steps away and kind of glances in our direction. Actually, I think she is staring at me again. She must hate me right now, if I convince John she will loose a hefty sale.

“John, I really don’t like this whole idea of yours. You are going to risk your life for nothing!” by the end of the sentence my voice and body is shaking. I might have known John for only a few days but I really do care for the bastard.

“Calm down Markus. I told you, it will work. We looked at the aircraft specs, I will have to dig about two meters and half in snow to reach the door and I will be protected by the tent. By tomorrow afternoon I will be with Marco and waiting for rescue.”

“In the best possible scenarios, yes! But up to now nothing has gone right. Just when you found them, everybody is grounded.”

“No they are grounded because Capt. Engel knows that nothing of massive scale can be done to save them. What I am proposing is giving the passengers some relief while waiting for Capt. Engel to be able to organize himself and pull everybody out.”

“And risking your life in the process.”

“The risk is minimal considering that I am experienced in everything we are about to do.”

I shake my head again, then add.

“I just wish there was something I could do to help?”

“You have done plenty and are doing so much. You are even coming tomorrow with us I could not ask for more.”

“Wait a minute, I have an idea. I am coming with you tomorrow. How much is this equipment worth?”

“I am not sure, we must be at three thousand already and we’re still missing the rappel equipment.”

“You know I could talk to my boss and get him to cover the cost.”

“What?” His eyes sparkle, “Do you really think you can pull it off? It would really be a blessing.”