Food

December 18, 13:30

“Ladies and gentlemen.” The pilot states loudly for everyone to hear. “You have had exemplary behavior up to now, and I know we, your crew can still count on you to keep this behavior going until we can be rescued. We have to share some further news. This morning was our last meal.”

Pandemonium, everyone starts shouting at the same time, it is the crash scene all over again.

“Please, calm down your yelling and imprecations are useless at this time. If you want to speak do so in an orderly fashion, yelling and swearing will not get you anywhere.”

Eventually people just settle down. Either they are too tired, having had very little food for the last couple of days or they just give up. People slowly start slouching back in their seat. The empty, sulking stares reappear. From somewhere a forward row someone still lightly belligerent says.

“You should have told us before. Maybe, I would have saved my morsel for this evening.”

“I could have made many decisions, yes. But then if you knew that we had given you the last food we had, a war might have started. We decided to act this way instead. Now, before you give up, you must know that with just water we can survive for some time. We have plenty of water, and it may be a matter of hours before search and rescue crews will find us.”

“That is what you keep on saying, yet here we are no better off then two days ago and now we have no food. We are just wasting time until we will start dying of starvation.”

The guy would just not give up, I cannot take it anymore, so I stand.

“Look, you can argue and bitch as long as you want, but the situation does not change. Now if you have any idea on how to make the situation better, I believe we all want to hear it. If you just want to doom us, I am not ready to give up yet. I have also read that on many occasions people have lived for days without eating, and if that is what it will take so be it.” I notice that the man is actually quite large so I cannot help myself to add. “Besides, by your looks, you are obviously well stoked in food, so I think you are better equipped then most to survive.”

Many laugh at the comment, other just sneer. The overall mood is lighter.

“If I worry about the fate of my fellow passengers is because I do not have someone that is going to f me back to life again!” Everyone starts laughing out loud at the comment.  This sounds so much like the words I said before the crash I look instantly at Gertrude.

“Sorry, people were asking why all the section started laughing before the crash; and I really thought it was sweet what you said.”

I feel my face red hot in embarrassment. I am not sure what to say.

“You know what? He is coming, I know it! You will see.”

Defeated I sit down. My opponent, a smirk on his face sits down as well. Passengers pass by and pat my shoulder. At least they seem more lively. The captain comes to our row, and looking at me says.

“It was very brave what you just did . Thank you!”

“Don’t mention it.” I am still fuming and I need some time by myself. “I need to go for a walk. I need to be alone.”

“The only place you can walk is on the wing. The snow is too soft to walk on without snow shoes, and we do not have snow shoes.”

I just shake my head.

“That will not be enough. Also, we cannot just stay in the stuffy air. It would be good to be able to walk around a bit. And if it is snow shoes we need let’s make them.”