Chapter Three - Jak

I kept my sword pointed at the cloaked woman, a smile forming on my face. Her grey eyes were stricken with fear, and her angelic face paled.

"Why, I'm just pleasurably walking through the village. I was actually looking at the stalls, quite frankly." She replied in a clipped tone. He accent was thick, belonging to none who lived in the kingdom of Edoani. Why, if this woman was wiser, she would've kept her mouth shut.

"Hm," I muttered, "of course. Forgive me for interrupting you, Ma'am." I slowly lowered my sword, sheathing it after a moment's hesitation.

The woman merely nodded, her body clearly aching to get away. Well, I suppose a Royal Guard of my status could be considered scary, but there looks to be more to it than just that. I highly doubt she's fearing me. Likely, it's more of what could happen if she got caught. Why, I'm rather curious.

Quickly, the woman began to scamper off. But I wasn't done with her quite yet.

"Wait!" I commanded, the girl coming to a halt. Slowly, she turned to face me. My eyes took in the girl before me, searching for anything suspicious.

The woman's hair was tangled and damp, suggesting it's been a while since she's had access to both shelter and warm water to bathe in. Her leather apparel was drenched and covered with snow, doing little for warmth. The girl's body shook from the cold wind, her breathing short shivers.

"Yes, Sir?" The woman asked. Those two words repeated themselves in my head, her accent still unrecognizable.

"I just thought it'd be great to acquaint myself with the people of Edoani. Especially the foreign ones." I said, amusement bubbling inside me as I watched the horror flash across her face.

"I fear I don't understand what you're implying." She replied, her accent gone. The words she just uttered sounded forced, her voice no longer natural.

"Who says I was trying to imply something? But, never mind that, Ma'am. I don't wish to report you to the queen, since you appear to have caused no harm. I only merely want to know your name. At least, for now."

"Avira." The woman stammered.

"Why, what an exquisite name. I fear mine isn't much better. Yet, that's no reason why I shouldn't tell you." I flashed a grin. "You may call me Jak. Although, I don't see why you wouldn't."

Avira nodded, bowing her head slightly. "It's an honor to have the privilege to speak to someone of such a high ranking."

She seemed to be fiddling with something as she gazed at the ground, still seeming to perform the act of a petty peasant. Yet, she's quite terrible at it. I got a quick glimpse of something silver before she moved it out of view.

This woman's intentions here clearly aren't good. Avira stood out from the rest of the villagers, and her posture was uncanny. She had caught my eyes upon mere moments of her arrival, and it was quite hard not to stop her just then. I knew something was off about this woman, but there has yet to be any evidence. At least, until now.

With great speed, Avira launched herself at me. A silver blade rushed towards my neck, prepared to kill. Why, this woman must have a death wish. I quickly drew my sword, dodging the attack.

The cloaked girl's knee connected with my stomach in one quick motion, another hidden blade held to my neck. Letting out a low chuckle, I fell backwards. A shooting pain went through my back as I landed. I gritted my teeth as I dodged another of the girl's swift attacks, wincing as I sliced open my side with my own blade.

In one fluid movement, I rose to my feet, sword in hand. Avira briskly charged at me, unaware of the dagger I now held in my right hand. I swiftly blocked the blow with my broadsword, the hidden dagger now held at her neck.

"I suggest you stand down." I panted.

The girl glared at me, but she made no attempt to release herself. "Put down that dagger before you regret ever holding it to my throat."

"Oh?" I mused. "What would you be able to do? Dear, I'm the one who has the advantage here. Just one quick move, and the snow will be slick with your blood."

"Jak, is it?" Avira asked sweetly.

"What does it matter to you?" I hissed into her ear.

"Well," She purred, "Now I have a way to guarantee your death. We both know your queen must grant you permission before you could kill any of her peasants. And let's just say, I have many friends who'd love to bury a dagger into your head if you do anything to harm me."

I leaned in closer, my lips nearly touching her ear. "And where are they now, dear?"

Avira glared at me, her cold grey eyes a feral storm. "What are you going to do with me then, Jak?" My name on her tongue held no warmth, the use of it only a mere tease.

"Avoiding my question, I see."

"Only a fool would answer to such a thing."

"Why," I began, "only a fool wouldn't answer that question. I'm holding a blade to your neck, and even the smallest question could save your life."

"You'd still have to bring me to your queen. Now, what are you going to do with me?" Her voice was small and delicate, holding none of the anger it had moments earlier. Why, is she trying to seduce her way out?

I backed away from Avira, removing the dagger that was resting at her throat. "I'll let you go. Let's call it a game. We avoid each other as much as possible, but once we meet again... Then the fight to the death shall begin. It's been quite some time since I've spilled any blood."

"Hm." She muttered.

"Dear," I said, "that wasn't a question. We are going to see again, and next time I am going to kill you."

"Until next time, then." She mused. Avira sheathed all the daggers she'd drawn earlier, a tint of a smile on her face. Swiftly, she adjusted her cloak, then walked off. She seemed to disappear into the darkness, as if she never stepped foot onto this land.

"Avira." I muttered under my breath, an image of her face flashing in my mind. Letting out a hearty laugh, I headed back towards the castle.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Guys, I'm on a roll. Sadly, I doubt the next update will be as quick. I'll try and do my best, though!

Hope you enjoyed! XD