Crying

Yuichiro Hyakuya had always admired his parents' love for each other. He knew that someday he'd be able to love someone the same way his parents did. The thought of being with someone forever always made Yuu have high hopes for his future love life, and that's what made him such a lovable person...

My mother and father are one of the few adults that were able to survive the virus that globally killed many people above the age of thirteen. Obviously, I also survived, since I'm currently thirteen.

At this point, the vampires have taken the children who are thirteen and younger and brought them beneath the earth, where they're treated as livestock. Yes, the unfortunate children were taken away to have their blood sucked by the vampires.

I was grateful when the vampires were unable to capture me and my parents. Sadly, the people I knew before the tragic attack had been taken away or terribly ill from the virus. Almost everyone was dead. There was barely any hope left in me.

"Come here, Yuu," my mother said in a soft and calm voice. I looked into her eyes. My mom had the Colored Eyes, just like my father.

When you fall in love with someone, your eyes change from a pale gray color to a brighter color. My parents told me that when they fell in love, they knew instantly. The world had changed to them in a fascinating way. They said that the world had Color-- a world with more happiness.

I didn't understand them when they tried to explain it to me. They said that before they loved each other, their world was black and white. They said that my world right now was black and white. It was true.

My world didn't have Color. The only Colors I can see are shades of gray, black, and white. Well, except for people who had Colored Eyes. When you looked at them, they had the brightest colors you've ever seen. You can't see Color anywhere else in this grayish world unless you looked into the eyes of a person who's in love.

The color of my mother's eyes are violet, one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. When she smiled, her eyes seemed to glow, as if she wasn't happier already. My father, who has lime green eyes, always made my mom smile every moment he had a chance to.

Right now, Mom wasn't smiling.

"What is it?" I asked her. She had a concerned look on her face.

"You're bleeding..." she tells me. Dad looks over her shoulder and looks down at my side. I also look down.

When I look down, I notice that the side of my shirt is drenched with a sticky fluid: my blood.

My mom looks around the abandoned building we were hiding in for something to stop the bleeding. Her Colored Eyes searched the room we were in. She looked down at the debris on the floor and on the shelves in the corner of the room.

Finally, my mom lifts up a piece of cloth from the top of the shelf. She smiles a little as she gave us a sigh of relief.

"This should stop it," she says. She presses the cloth against my wound. I pinch my thumb to keep myself from screaming in pain. I painfully look at my dad, who was also giving me a look of concern.

"Mom?"

"Yes, Yuu?"

"What's the color of blood?" I ask her.

She hesitates for a moment and looks down at my wound. "Red," she answers.

"Red?" I repeat. I stare at the stained cloth that is pressed down on me. So this is red, huh?

"Yes, red. It's the same color as rose petals."

Rose petals. My blood is the same color as rose petals. The type of flowers that men would give to their wives on valentine's day. The type of red that showed love from one person to another.