Chapter 1: I Discovered The Real Me, And It Scared The Hell Out Of Me ( Ethan )

( Ethan )

" Ethan Wings

You are relieve from your duties due to Core Examination Day and Core Training Academy from September 12th to October 15th 2078. Monthly wages of $300 per week is still deposited to your household with your trusted relative/housemate.

Your examination will start at September 12th at 1100 hours at Dome Standings located at Zone 2. Advisable to pack proper attires for a month of training and education.

Sincerely,

Howard Desmand."

I read this note that was given to me last week. I have my red luggage at my left with a black mountain backpack at my back. I'm not sure why I'm reading this note for the 16th time. Probably because I have to leave my two younger siblings alone? Maybe I'm registering this inevitable change that's bound to happen? I'm scared of this new programme? System? Order?

I sighed in exasperation. Sure, it's exciting to know what's the form of your true self and all, but leaving my siblings alone with Aunt Clare made me feel guilty. Aunt Clare is a kind person, mind you, but I feel like it's my responsibility to take care of both my siblings since my parents death.

Both my parents died from an airplane accident when I was 12. After a year of recovery, I quit school in order to financially support my siblings along with Aunt Clare. She has a job as a waitress in a cafe that gives her a salary of $400 per week, but it wasn't enough to pay the bills while feeding the family. So, I worked as a transporter, a person who delivers goods and packages to a customer. I've been doing this job since I was 13. Weird, I know. But, the company didn't question my motives, so it went well. I guess...

" Ethan."

I turned around to see my younger sister, Evelyn, on the wooden stairs. Her black hair was flowing out of her bare shoulders. Her white singlet was slightly dirty from last night's dinner ( it's curry ). Her brown eyes bore to mine.

" You're leaving already?" Evelyn asked me, in a quiet tone. She was grinning. " Yeah, I'm... I have to go," I replied. She squealed, " Are you excited? You're going to figure out your Core!" I smiled, " Yeah, I am. I probably get a cat or some random robotic helicopter." She walked down the stairs and towards me. " You know, it'll be really awesome if you got your Core as a lion. Maybe they can scare the hell out of some people," she claimed. " Yeah, that will be cool," I jested. I looked for my youngest brother, Adam, to see if he's awake. As usual, he was't. Evelyn noticed my motive as she noted, " Adam is still asleep, you know?" I laughed. Adam's a guy who has a habit in staying up late. Very late. We tried to make sure that Adam sleeps in time, but he wouldn't listened to us, so we let him be. Maybe he'll learned his lesson in a long run. Although, unlike Evelyn and I, he's short for his age of 12. I suspected that it happened due to him staying up late.

" So, after your training, what are you going to do?" Evelyn asked me. I find it hilarious that she's doing her best to play an older sister role, even though I'm two years older than her. " I'm not sure, really. I'm excited, but I'm nervous as hell." I explained to her while scratching the back of my head. " Eh? You have lived for 18 years and you still don't know what you want to do?" she was shocked. I looked away from her for a moment, as she was face-to- face with me. I can smell her sweet dew scent. " Yep, that's me for you, Evelyn," I murmured. " Come on, do you want to be an accountant? An actor? A singer?" she rambled. " That's your ambition, Evelyn," I mentioned. " Yeah, yeah. I know. But what do you want to do?" Evelyn asked. I was silent for a while, thinking what I want to do. Nothing. " Honestly, I don't have the slightest clue what I want to do in the future..," I faltered.

Evelyn tilted her head, her long hair falling from her shoulder. " Ethan, are you okay?" she asked me, worried. " Eh?" I muttered. Evelyn stared at me, analysing me. She's that type of person that analyse anything that's wrong with... well, everything. Attempting to change the conversation, I waved it off, " Nah, I'm fine. It's just that... it's early in the morning, don't you think?" Evelyn sighed, " Ethan, admit it. Something's bothering you, right?"