X

Marissa

  I wake up to my phone going off at 8:00 in the morning. Not now, it's too early. I groan as I open my eyes and answer to whoever's calling. My bones groan in resistance from last night.

 "Hello?" I say, my voice groggy. I stifle a yawn and slowly get out of bed, wincing at the pain from my back. Might as well start my day.

 "Well hello, Sunshine." Hudson says, his voice chirpy. I knew he was acting like this to annoy me. What an ass. But I would probably do the same thing to him.

 "Go screw yourself." I say, smiling through my words. I love our little banters. Hudson always knew how to make me smile, even when I'm under so much pressure, it's why he's my best friend. In my mind, Hudson is the only family I have. He's the brother I always wanted.

 "Ah, what a lady you are. Did I wake the princess up?" Hudson says, his voice taking a mocking tone. I swear, when I get back I'm going to kick his ass into next week.

 "Hudson, you son of a b*tch, it's too early. Why are you calling me? And you better have a good reason, if you woke me up just to check on me I'm going to kick your ass." I threaten as I head towards the bathroom.

 "Did you forget to take your meds?"

 "Hudson!" I yell, struggling to get my shirt off,. "Hang on." I threw my phone on the bed so that I could take my shirt off, ignoring the pain in my back. I quickly take my pants off before I pick my phone back up.

"You're such an asshole!" I yell, getting right back to scolding Hudson. I hear Hudson chuckling.

"What were you doing?" Hudson asked, mischief lacing his voice.

 "I'm taking a shower." I answered. "You know, because normal people do that."

 "Yeah, I know, Frost. I'm not an idiot." Hudson scoffs. Cocky boy. Hudson has an ego bigger than Texas, and he's been that way for as long as I've known him. I distinctly remember that it was Hudson's ego that made me hate him when we first met. We were training and Hudson asked me on a date, and I kindly refused. Baby, everyone wants to date me, hell, even I'd date me, he replied. Horrified at his response, I slapped him and walked away. Eventually he apologized and we became friends right after.  

  "Really? Because I beg to differ." I answer, "Remember Vermont?"

 "Okay that was one time. How was I supposed to know it was a woman? She had a mustache going on, who could blame me?" Hudson mumbles. I chuckle. Hudson always thought it was funny until he was the one being made fun of. Such a child.

"Oh, not so cocky now are we?" I say, raising an eyebrow.

"Shut up. Call me back once your done with your shower." Hudson pouts. He quickly ends the call. I shake my head and start my shower. I pass the mirror and I gasp at the sight of my back. It's covered in yellow and purple bruises. Well, it's nothing I can't handle with some pain killers. I sigh and start my shower.

  I call Hudson back once I'm finished getting dressed.

 "So how did it go?" Hudson asks, his playfulness tone gone.

 "I got a meeting with him. Tonight at 9." I breathe. I feel adrenaline run through my body, already wanting to get it over with. This is a huge step in the investigation. This may be the piece I need to get closer to our killer.

 "Holy sh*t Marissa! That's amazing! How did you that so quickly?" Hudson says, obviously impressed.

 "Oh... you know. I have my ways." I say. If I tell Hudson I fought last night, he'll turn into mama bear.