A Child

She entered the diner without her fiancé hung around her waist, spotting the mayor's son sitting at a booth. She approached him, asking, "What are you reading? Mind if I sit?" He shook his head, and she took a seat across from him, "Is your mom here?" She asked, glancing around the diner.

He shook his head, staring at the words in his large book, "What is that?" She asked him, "Fairytales?"

"It's more than fairytales," Henry told her, "Its history!"

"It's always good to believe," she said with a smile.

"No, I've read every page!" The child said in a loud whisper, "Everything matches, except that you and Thomas," he told her, "You aren't in here."

"Are you sure?" She asked him with a smile, "If it's history, then I have to be in there somewhere."

"Maybe," he told her, flipping the pages, "I just don't know who."

"Well, whenever you figure it out, let me know, but until then, where can I find your mother?" He gave her the address to his mother's house and she scooted out of the booth.

"Thank you," she said to him with a smile, "I'll see you around, kid."

She left the diner and walked up the street until she located the Mayor's house. Knocking on the  large front door, the mayor seemed delighted to see her at the doorstep, "Eleanor, how lovely to see you again! Where is Thomas this evening?"

"Working," she replied with a light huff, "as usual."

"What can I help you with?" She asked, inviting her inside and shutting the door.

"I need your advice," she said to the mayor cautiously as they entered the living room and took a seat at the couch, "I want to adopt a baby." The mayor's eyes lit up and she slightly began to smile, "Thomas and I keep trying, but nothing ever changes. I'm starting to think that I won't ever be able to have a child."

"No offense, but you two are getting married soon," she said softly, "How are you planning to afford a baby and a wedding?"

"We'll manage," she replied with a nervous, but happy smile, "Do you know of anyone who can contact the agencies for us?"

"Mr. Gold may be of more assistance than myself," the mayor said to her with a smirk playing on her lips, "But I think you should do whatever it takes to get a baby."

The bell on the door rang and Mr. Gold came from the back of the shop to find the beautiful blonde woman entering, "Good evening," He called to her and she moved towards him, "I'm surprised to see you without that fiancé of yours. You two can't seem to keep your hands off of one another."

She stood directly in front of him and took a deep breath, "Mr. Gold, I was hoping you could help me with something," she said nervously with her hands gripping the glass counters as she looked up to meet his eyes, "I want a baby."

"I'd be glad to help, dearie, but I'm not sure Thomas would approve," he replied with a small smile forming on his lips as his eyes locked on hers.

"Mayor Mills sent me to you, she said that you could contact agencies," she told him, "Thomas and I have been trying to get pregnant for as long as I remember, but as hard as we try, nothing changes." Her eyes drifted down to look at his tightly gripped hands that rested on his cane, "Could you help me?"

After a moment of hesitation, and knowing that he could do nothing to help her, he said, "I'm sorry, all I can do is offer you some advice," he began, "I hope you understand that obtaining a child is a very long, tedious process that is not always successful," he said to her sternly, "If you are in love with Thomas, then I suggest you wait to have his child."

She sighed, shaking her head for a moment, "It just seems like nothing will ever happen," she told him with a shrug, "I'm tired of sweeping the same floors and washing the same dishes with no hope for anything different."

"Having a child takes a lot of responsibility and selflessness," he told her firmly, "being a parent isn't for everyone."

"You have a child?" She asked him and searched his eyes.

"I have one, yes," the man told her, "but I lost him a long time ago."

"I'm so sorry," she told him and flashed him a sympathetic smile.

"If you start feeling lonely or trapped because of this little town, I suggest spending time with Mary-Margret Blanchard," he said to her without a pause, "I'm positive that you will find a friend in her."

"Thank you," she said to him and they both pushed themselves out of their feet.

"If you ever need anything, don't be afraid to ask, dearie," she flashed him a genuine smile and he watched her leave the shop.