You Don't Belong

Chapter 3: Piper

I plopped down at my usual lunch spot under the oak tree in the middle of the quad. My best friends Elena and Sean sat down beside me seconds later.

"Apple?" Elena offered when she noticed I didn't have my lunch. I shook my head and stared down at my hands. I couldn't eat when I felt guilty. And I did. I could feel it gnawing away at me. He had been nice to me - helped me find my class - and I hadn't even bothered to say thank you.

"Earth to Piper," Sean called, waving a hand in front of my face.

"What?"

"We've been trying to get your attention for the past five minutes," Elena giggled, "What's going on in there?" She poked me in the forehead for emphasis.

"Just thinking," I answered.

"About what?" Sean asked.

"None of your business," I replied, sticking my tongue out.

"Is it a boy?" Elena asked, "Oh my god, it is! Sean, look, she's blushing! It has to be a boy!"

"No way!"

"No, Sean," I said with a wry smile, "Elena's right. It is a boy."

"Really?"

"He helped me out today and now I feel -" Before I could even begin to explain how much I hated owing Justin anything, Elena cut me off.

"Like you're in love with him? Like he's your hero? Oh my god, I'm going to design your prom dress and then your wedding dress and then, oh my god, I'm just so excited, Piper!"

"Yeah, I can tell, but Elena," I interrupted, "I don't feel like that about him."

"What do you mean?" Elena pouted, "Why not?"

"It's Justin Cameron," I explained.

"So?" she looked at me like I was crazy, "He's hot."

"It's true," Sean interjected, "Justin is like a sex-god."

"Hello? He's like the king of the popular crowd. They hate my guts."

"Yeah, but he helped you out, didn't he?" Elena pointed out, "Maybe he feels differently than the rest of them."

"Or maybe he's just trying to get my guard down so he can hurt me."

"Why would he do that?" Elena asked.

"I don't know," I threw my hands up in frustration.

"Maybe you should give him a chance," Elena suggested.

"Maybe," I muttered to myself, "But probably not."

"If you weren't 'in love' with him, what did you feel?" Sean asked after a moment.

"Oh, right! I felt guilty because after he helped me out and I didn't bother to say thank you."

"Then go!" Elena shooed me, pointing to Justin's table, "Say thank you and stop feeling guilty."

"Yeah," I agreed, pushing myself to my feet. I started walking the short distance between our tree and the popular table. My heart was hammering in my chest. I didn't talk to these people - I didn't even like these people. I was just about to turn and run when I heard Justin's voice rise above the noise.

"...Piper Breen. She's obnoxious, rude, and..." He paused as he noticed his friends' widening eyes, "She's standing right behind me, isn't she?" He turned around and met my eyes with his own blue ones. I had the strangest urge to cry, but I masked it with anger.