Chapter 10 - Mrs. Lovett

My eyes widened with fear and shock.

Jacob..!! He's still alive.. This is not possible.. I...

All these morning flashbacks were already too much and now this man's back?

I ran and slammed the door. Kate looked at me with confusion and shock. I don't want her to know.. Not at all.. It went on well all these years and now...!!! No way... She will not know anything.. But what will I tell her..

When I opened my mouth to speak it shut almost immediately. I felt I couldn't control any of my actions. But somehow with a lump in my throat I managed to say something.

"Go into your bedroom and don't come out. I'll call you on your phone." My voice cracky.

She didn't say anything but turned and went upstairs. I couldn't read her face for the moment. It was a mixture of so many emotions.

I sat down... With my mind turned upside down.

I thought of peeking out the window to check if he was gone but I couldn't move a single muscle. I just sat there doing nothing and staring at nothing.
I didn't know what was happening to me. And then..

Knock.. Knock..

I was scared.. I was scared to even check who it would be. I just sat there.

Knock.. Knock...

"Honey" said a voice and I quickly got up recognizing the voice as George's. I opened the door and George had almost the same look as I had.

Blank

He looked into my eye and wondered about something..

He came in and we both spoke nothing.

I felt he could read me and kept quiet because he knew I wanted him to.

It was just silent. I could hear the drip drip of the leaking faucet from the kitchen I had left in a hurry.

Kate's little voice broke the silence.

"D..Dad.. Is...is that... You..? "She peeked from behind the little open door of her room.

George went up and I followed. As soon as he entered the room, he quickly pulled Kate into his arms and made a sign for me to do the same.

I could feel a kind of warmth and peace as I allowed myself into the arms of my family. It felt good to at least know that I've still got a beautiful daughter and a loving husband.

Soon my eyes filled with tears. We didn't talk but just let ourselves sink into the warmth of family hug. And then George softly kissed Kate's forehead and said, " Don't worry everything will be fine. We'll talk tomorrow."

He spoke like he knew what just happened. Like he was here when I slammed the door on Jacobs face. Like he was here when Kate looked confused and I was worried.

We left the room. Kate confused yet calm. We walked down and went into our room.

.
.
.
.
.
.

Without even talking a single word.