Chapter 16 - Kate

Bang!!!!

The loud noise almost burst my eardrums.

Ken..!

My mind screeched but my mouth wouldn't utter a word. It seemed like my voice box stopped producing sounds and my brain lost a link to my mouth. I was so helpless.

A moment ago all was fine. I was so close to knowing something I've been hunting for since I was 5. The reason for the heaviness in heart of a mother. The cause of pain, guilt, and fear in the eyes of a father and the thing my family regrets doing... What was that? It wasn't even minutes away to at least unlock some little clue to this mystery I've been living with. Minutes... And I wasn't aware that these minutes could also be this disastrous.

Nobody knows which second of life we have given the power to change our whole destiny... We are the creators of it. We are the destroyers. We let the moment gain the power to change our fate. We are the ones who lead others into our miserable hearts hoping they'd mend them. At the end of time, it's all 'we'. We let them in; either to mend or to destroy.

And Ken was here. I don't know if he's here to mend or destroy or if I will give him the power to change my destiny... But until he's here. I know I can rebuild strength.

He got his hands off the steering wheel and bent towards me; his arm and head covering me. All he tried was to protect me. I didn't want it. I wanted him to stay safe and take care of himself first. The glass pieces flew like a flock of birds tearing through the blue sky and pierced his soft warm and spotless skin and he never flinched.!

"Ouch..!" I said looking with guilt and rage at each little piece that touched him. I could feel adrenaline gush down my body screaming... I felt my heart get heavy. My eyes started getting wet and a tear fell on his arm.

"I'm fine sweetie, Don't worry," he said.

How could he ask me not to worry? He was on me, bearing all the pain I was supposed to face. All those little glass pieces like wild bats scattered all over the place. Blood dripping from his arm and the air smelled somewhat mixed of the scent of blood and sweat.
The horn tore through the silence that was maintained like it was the lifeline of the place. We were not even a few minutes away until back to Street-12 when I don't know what came in the way and we got into this situation right now where Ken's suffering my bit of it and I DID NOT LIKE THIS.!

I tried to gather all the courage in me to try and push him away but I couldn't even move!

We turned and the doors hit the harsh, rough surface of the road; like they were the fiercest enemies ever. The tyres were off their soulmates and we slipped into a harsh fight between them.
All we could do was nothing......

Ken turned towards me, his face so close to mine. I could feel his heartbeat and his breathing soft yet like when scared. His breath tickled my neck and behind my ear and I could feel his skin sweaty and sticky; all with pieces of glass sitting in with blood smeared around. I gently touched his arm asking, " I know that hurts, Why did you do that? ". Trying to pull out a big chunk that sat on his arm piercing a small part of his skin, I continued, "You should've just ducked down first and then maybe asked me to do the same. It would be 50-50 of the pain. I hate to see you take it all."

"But sweetie,  You know what.. I love you and you know something special about it?
It makes you want to take it all.. and it would hurt...ahh.. a hundred times more if I'd let you take even a bit of it... he said adding in the 'ah' where I pulled the stubborn thing off and it finally let go of him.

Wow....! Love? what a timing!I never even imagined he'd say he was in love this way. You know, like in movies, the guy takes the girl out and there in the most romantic way professes his love. That's way more romantic. But this was where he said it and I instinctively reacted quite happy with a warm smile. Well, I have no regrets about the place he said he was in love because he didn't just say it but did prove it in an overwhelmingly satisfying way. I got closer to him, looking into his eyes, I slowly closed my eyes and opened them back again wearing a smile that I could really feel deep inside my heart. Every part of my body suddenly seemed happy. I almost forgot the situation we were in until I heard the ambulances followed by the cars of the cops. He looked back at me and then... Something metallic flew his way and hit him just at the back of his ear.................. 

Hard......

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It seemed like I wasn't aware of what was happening after that. Like a part of brain's memory refusing to come back. I strained every little tissue of my brain but nothing happened. Where had they taken Ken? How was he doing? Did something happen to him? Well, I shouldn't overthink. I looked around; silence and tension hung in the air and the scent of the atmosphere around
me was quite strange with that of sweat, blood, and my perfume. I could sense a tingling sensation in my nose of a sharp tingly smell of some kind of a vaccine bottle...
I was being pushed into the ambulance when I saw Ken lay there on the road. One of his shoes out. A huge lump formed in my throat that choked me completely... My heart thumped loudly and scared in my chest and my eyes would do anything but blink.

What the heck is happening??
I screamed in the inside of my head. Only my body could hear the loud echo of my voice and my mouth refused to utter a single word. All I could do was stand and stare like I didn't have the ability to do anything. The air around felt heavier now; the feeling of helplessness increasing every moment of every second.
They shut the door. I try to peak through the half covered window squinting to spot out Ken. But even before I could make out the guy as Ken, they pulled me down and shut my eyes......
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Huge, modern white walls surrounded the 3 sides from where I lay. Right in front was a huge glass door, spotlessly clean that showed me on the other side sat a line of steel chairs where both my parents were waiting... For me to wake up maybe. 

I tried and turned around to see so many flowers bouquets, get well soon cards and fruits with little letters.

I tilted my head; stretched my hands a little farther and picked out whatever I could reach.
I managed to pull out a few letters... The white one with little hearts was from Em, a plain sky blue had Mom written on the outside and Earnie's was baby pink with a big teddy on it.

One more was among them. A plain white boring envelope that had someone's name in dark bold letters...

Harry.

Harry? Who's this guy?

The name sounded a little familiar. Like, that I must've heard it a few times.

Where? When?

I was still trying hard to figure out if I had heard this name or not until the nurse distracted me when her hand hit a red roses bouquet and a black envelope fell out.

----------

Hey readers!
                    We've hit 1k reads!! Thanks a million.!

That made me happy so here's another chappy for Y'all. 

What would I ever do without you awesome people?

Hope you enjoyed reading this one.
Stick on to know more and enjoy the slow mystery.

Don't forget to tell me if you liked it.

Happy reading..

- .k