swimming pool

there's comfort in the bottom of a swimming pool, I'm holding my breath for you.

"C'mon, c'mon!" Pete shouted at Mikey, pulling on his hand, "We're gonna be late!"

"W-We don't have anywhere s-specific to be, Pete!"

Pete laughed as he ran in front of his friend, his teal shoes thumping along with his heart as he ran from his vacation house to the acres of land in front of them which held a large swimming pool. Mikey followed not all that far behind him, a massive, magenta striped bag slung over his shoulder swung as he caught up.

Catching their breath, Pete pulled out a tube of sunscreen and slathered it on his arms; when he was done he began to slather it on Mikey. The hot summer sun was beating down on them quite relentlessly, and he couldn't risk him or his friend to get burned and ruin the fun. He poked a dollop of the cream on Mikey's nose and laughed.

"You look like an inverse Rudolph," Pete said, snickering.

Mikey cracked a grin, "S-Shut it." Mikey wiped some off his nose and onto Petes.

"Well then let's go," Pete announced in a concentrated tone as he pulled off his shirt, "We're not here for nothing." He smiled and folded his shirt into the pink bag.

Mikey furrowed his brows and gave an uncomfortable look as he removed and three his shirt into the bag as well.  He spoke as he put the bag on the patio chair.

"T-There's just one p-problem, y'know? I-I don't l-like such large b-bodies of water. E-Even if it's n-not an ocean..."

"Well," Pete responded slowly, "you know how to swim?"

Mikey nodded.

"Then I'll help you with your fear. C'mon, let's go."

Mikey stared at him and then back at the water, "Fine but you hold my hand or no deal."

Pete laughed a little, "okay, let's go."

****

A halfway submerged Pete stood in the shallow end as Mikey got his feet wet. A string of mumbles flew out of Mikeys mouth, some of which containing not the prettiest of words. The loudest of which words sprouted from when Mikey decided he gave no fucks and waded in up to his waist.

Mikey's eyes squeezed shut as Pete took a hold of his friends shoulders.

"Okay, so now you're in, I'm gonna hold your hands and lead you. Don't open your eyes."

Mikey let out a half whimper and clasped his hands with Pete's with such a force that Pete's fingertips began to lose color. Pete didn't mind though, and didn't say anything. When Mikey was in up to his neck, Pete told him to open his eyes. When he did, his eyes were almost as wide as the day they met.

"P-Pete, holy fuck!" The panorama that flew across Mikeys eyes was expanded to hyperbolical lengths. His perception of the pool was unreasonable and made it quite clear when he jumped into Pete's arms.

"I don't want to do this anymore I don't want t-"

Pete tuned Mikey out for a second, noticing something different; changed. Pete shrugged it off and turned Mikey toward him.

"Okay Mikes, on the count of three, push your head underwater, count to three more, and open your eyes."

"P-Pete I don't think I can do-"

"One."

"N-No really! You don't underst-"

"Two."

"You really d-"

"Three!"

They both took a deep breath as Pete plunged underwater and pulled Mikey down with him, opening his eyes and waiting for Mikey to do the same.

When Mikey finally did, Pete figured that it was as he always said it was- artistic.

Mikeys eyes were widened, but something about them was calm. No noises, no sense of smell or taste. It was just them and their intertwined hands. Just them and the bubbles clinging to Pete's chest and the water caressing and flowing through every lock of Mikeys now (even more) angelic looking hair. It was like a painting, or a picture, and Pete wished he had his camera.

In this moment Pete motioned for Mikey to surface and pushed himself to the top. He gulped in a lungful of air and watched Mikey copy his actions. He smiled big.

"So...How was it?" Pete thought it went well.

"It was..n-nothing I thought it would be...I...I liked it. It w-was so calm and...and peaceful and...I want to do it more."

Pete grinned as wide as possible, "Then do I have a present for you tomorrow," he giggled a bit.

Mikey held a calm smile and enveloped him in a hug. "Thank you."

Pete squeezed him hard and lingered for a few minutes before letting go to dry off. They spent the rest of the night in the guest bedroom, in the closet with flashlights and stories that brought them together.

From the top of the closet, Pete pulled out Mikey's gift- snorkeling gear. A simple pair of goggles and a breathing tube made Mikey's night, and almost every day of summer Mikey put them to good use.

"Thank you," he said.

"No, thank you."