Prologue

Rumour had it the Hollow House had been there before even the town itself. A shamble of dark wood and crumbling stone, sat desolately in the centre of the great wooded valley that would later become Hearts Hollow. This was before the town founder came along of course, and the people.
I always thought the Hollow House came later.
   No one would build a town around that. They'd travel further, somewhere else.
   Yes, the house came later. It's inhabitants found its way into the dull suburbia and settled there, like a puzzle piece from a different set, fitting almost perfectly.
   Perhaps it didn't fit with the local aesthetic. Didn't blend in with the pale blandness and uniform rows of the other, newer houses. It did, at least, look house shaped. Maybe a bit too old, though. A bit too tall. Maybe the windows were a little too warped, or the garden was a little too wild. There were animals out front sometimes: deer and rabbit and birds, picking carelessly away at the earth. During summer, the House looked like the Garden of Eden; glowing with flowers and restless with the lazy twitching of bees, but later, in Autumn, it grew to resemble more of a graveyard.
    Somebody lived there, everybody knew. Something, at least.
   Rumour said a lot of things about the Hollow House.