Chapter 2

"Nice to meet you, Muriel," Fred greeted kindly as the others chimed in with their own greetings. "So, do you live alone?"

The gang walked inside, though Scooby-Doo and Shaggy continued to shiver with fear, their eyes darting around the shadowy corners of the quaint farmhouse.

"No," Muriel replied in her gentle, Scottish accent. "I live with my husband, Eustace, and our brave little dog, Courage."

"Courage?" Shaggy repeated, his voice tinged with curiosity. "Like, your dog must probably be the bravest dog ever."

"Reah," Scooby agreed, nodding in affirmation.

"Eustace!" Muriel called out, her voice carrying through the house, "Come out here! We have guests!"

"I'll be right there!" a gruff voice responded from somewhere deep within the house, perhaps the basement.

Suddenly, a small pink dog cautiously emerged from his hiding spot beneath the television. It was Courage, his wide eyes reflecting a mix of curiosity and apprehension. He slowly padded over to Mystery Incorporated, his paws barely making a sound on the wooden floor.

"Hello there, little fella," Fred said warmly, kneeling down and extending his hand.

Courage approached tentatively, his body language a portrait of nervousness. He sniffed Fred's hand cautiously. Just then, Scooby bounded over and joined in the sniffing. Startled, Courage yelped and dashed behind Muriel, trembling.

"Wow," Daphne observed, "Courage looks almost more afraid than Scooby."

At that moment, an older man, stooped and irritable-looking, shuffled out of the kitchen. This was Eustace.

"What is it, Muriel!?" Eustace barked, his voice grumpy and abrasive.

"Eustace," Muriel admonished gently, "Stop being like that and act polite! We have guests."

"We're so sorry to bother you, but our van ran out of gas," Fred explained, maintaining his composure.

"Well, the gas station is miles away!" Eustace yelled, his tone not hiding his annoyance. "Just walk there if you have to!"

Muriel quickly intervened, swinging a rolling pin and giving Eustace a solid thwack on the head.

"Ow!" Eustace yelped, rubbing his head. "What'd I do?"

Velma stepped forward, holding out a small treat. "Here, Courage," she said softly, "Try a Scooby Snack."

Courage sniffed the Scooby Snack cautiously before taking it gingerly from Velma's hand. He tasted it, then licked his lips, a smile spreading across his face. He looked up at Velma, his eyes softening as he realized these strangers might be friends.

"I am going to try and make dinner," Muriel said cheerfully. "Maybe you kids, Courage, and Eustace can tell each other ghost stories."

"I've got one that can scare ya and determine which one of you is the bigger chicken! He he," Eustace chuckled, a mischievous glint in his eye.

"Like, me and Scooby are the only chickens here," Shaggy said, trying to sound brave but failing miserably.

They all settled down in the cozy living room. Eustace plopped into his worn armchair, while Courage, Shaggy, and Scooby clustered nervously by the TV. Fred, Daphne, and Velma sat on a vintage-looking settee, its floral upholstery faded but still elegant.

"Years ago..." Eustace began, his voice low and menacing, "there was a cranky old man who was constantly annoyed by the kids who came to his house to throw rocks and stones."

The gang listened intently, though Shaggy, Scooby, and Courage were visibly trembling.

"Until one day..." Eustace continued, his eyes narrowing, "he had enough of those kids and teens annoying him. So he made a giant mask to scare them off. What he didn't know was that the more he wore the mask, the more attached it got to his face until one day it BECAME his face..."

The gang leaned in closer, drawn into the story. Courage, Shaggy, and Scooby huddled together, their eyes wide with fear. Then, with a sudden movement, Eustace turned around, his hands busy with something behind his back.

"OOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!!" Eustace screamed, whipping around to reveal a terrifying monster mask.

Courage, Shaggy, and Scooby let out simultaneous screams, bolting towards the TV and cramming themselves beneath it, quaking with fear. Eustace burst into hearty laughter, clearly amused by their reaction. Fred, Daphne, and Velma laughed too, though their initial shock was evident.

"Wow," Daphne said, catching her breath, "that was a great ghost story."

Muriel emerged from the kitchen, a frown creasing her face. "I'm afraid without power we cannot make dinner," she said sadly. "Will you children be alright?"

"Of course we will! Right, gang?" Fred said, trying to bolster everyone's spirits.

"Ruh-uh!" Scooby objected, shaking his head vigorously.

"Like, no way! Me and Scoob will just go in the van and eat our emergency food," Shaggy announced.

"You guys have 'emergency food'?" Velma asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Like, of course!" Shaggy replied earnestly. "What if there was no food left? Me and Scoob would look like raisins by now."

"Reah," Scooby agreed, his face contorting into a raisin-like expression.

"Okay, you two," Daphne said with a smile.

"I know," Muriel suddenly said, her face lighting up. "Why don't you kids spend the night here?"

"That is very kind of you, Muriel," Fred said gratefully. "Thanks."

"So where do we sleep, though?" Daphne asked, glancing around.

"Well, you two ladies can sleep in the guest room, and Fred can sleep in the spare bed in the attic," Muriel suggested kindly. "I don't know about your other two friends."

"I'm sure there are sleeping bags in the Mystery Machine for Shaggy and Scooby," Fred said. "Is the barn out of the question?"

"Like no way!" Shaggy exclaimed, shaking his head. "It's so spooky out there!"

"Reah," Scooby agreed, "rooky!"

"Come on, guys, it's just for one night," Fred reasoned.

"All right," Shaggy sighed, his shoulders slumping in resignation. "I guess if there's nowhere else to sleep..."

"Wonderful!" Muriel cheered. "Now you all get some rest."

Everyone went to their assigned places. Daphne and Velma settled into the cozy guest room, its old-fashioned quilt and lace curtains adding a touch of charm. Fred climbed the narrow stairs to the attic, finding a small but comfortable bed beneath a sloping ceiling. Muriel and Eustace retired to their bedroom, with Courage curling up at the foot of their bed. Shaggy and Scooby, despite their earlier protests, made their way to the barn, setting up their sleeping bags in a corner.

As the night deepened, the old farmhouse creaked and groaned, the wind outside whispering its eerie tune. The gang tried to settle in, but an unsettling feeling lingered in the air, as if the shadows themselves were watching, waiting.