Chapter 3

During the night, Shaggy and Scooby lay wide awake in the barn. The air was cold, but it wasn't just the chill that kept them from sleeping. The eerie and creepy atmosphere of the place left the two shivering under their thin blanket, sprawled atop the itchy hay.

"L-Like I can't tell if I'm shaking because I'm terrified or shaking because I'm freezing!" Shaggy said, his teeth chattering as he huddled under the flimsy cover.

"R-reah!" Scooby replied, his voice trembling. "Reezing!"

Suddenly, their stomachs began to growl loudly, the sound reverberating through the barn and momentarily distracting them from their fear and discomfort.

"Like, you know what's worse than being freezing? Being hungry!" Shaggy exclaimed, his eyes wide with the realization.

The two friends scrambled to their feet and made their way to the Mystery Machine, the familiar shape of their beloved van offering a small comfort in the unsettling surroundings. They rummaged through the hidden drawer where they usually stored their emergency food supplies, but their search yielded nothing.

"Zoinks!" Shaggy cried out, his voice filled with panic. "Like, we're all out, Scoob!"

"Ruh oh!" Scooby echoed, his eyes widening in distress.

"Like, I wonder if they might have some food in their fridge. I'm sure they won't mind," Shaggy suggested, trying to reassure himself as much as Scooby.

The two tiptoed back into the house, the old wooden floorboards creaking under their weight. They found the kitchen, its quaint charm shadowed by the dim light and the eerie quiet of the night.

"Like, this must be the fridge!" Shaggy whispered, his voice barely audible as he opened the door.

The refrigerator was filled with food, its shelves stocked with various items that made their mouths water. They began to dig in, their hunger overpowering their sense of caution. The sound of their rummaging alerted Courage, who had been sleeping fitfully on the Bagges' bed. Startled awake, he crept downstairs to investigate the noise, his small body trembling with a mix of fear and curiosity.

When he reached the kitchen, he saw Shaggy and Scooby with their heads buried in the fridge, their arms laden with food. Courage's initial relief at recognizing the intruders quickly turned to anger. He scurried over, trying to stop them with a series of frantic gestures and soft growls.

Suddenly, the atmosphere in the kitchen shifted dramatically. A thick fog began to seep into the room, swirling around their feet and sending a chill through the air. The three froze, their eyes widening in terror as they heard a faint, almost inaudible whisper.

"L-l-l-like, d-d-did y-you hear t-that?" Shaggy stammered, his voice barely a whisper as he swallowed the food in his mouth.

The three crept toward the door, opening it just a crack to peer outside. The entire area surrounding the house was engulfed in a dense, unnatural fog. But what truly sent a shiver down their spines was the sight of a tall, dark ghoul standing ominously in the mist. Its feet seemed to merge with the fog, and its long, sharp hands reached out like claws. But the most terrifying aspect was its face—there was none.

"Get... out..." the Faceless Ghoul whispered, its voice echoing eerily through the night.

"AAHHHHHHH!!!" The three screamed in unison, Shaggy's hair standing on end. They slammed the door shut and bolted upstairs, their footsteps thundering through the house.

The commotion quickly roused the gang and the Bagges from their slumber. Fred, Velma, Daphne, Eustace, and Muriel emerged from their rooms, looking confused and alarmed as they gathered in the hallway.

"What's wrong with you guys?" Fred asked, his voice tinged with concern. "What happened?"

"Ronster! Ronster!" Scooby stammered, his body still shaking.

Courage began yelping, his form shifting into a crude approximation of the Faceless Ghoul. His face stretched and twisted in a silent mimicry of the terrifying figure they had just encountered.

"What is he saying?" Daphne asked, her brows furrowing in confusion.

"He's just a stupid dog," Eustace grumbled, his annoyance clear.

"Nonsense!" Eustace yelled, his voice rising. "There ain't any monsters around here! The only monsters around here are these three idiots keeping me from my sleep!"

Muriel, seeing her husband's rudeness, quickly intervened, swinging her rolling pin and giving Eustace a swift whack on the head.

"OW!" Eustace yelped, rubbing the sore spot. "What'd I do?"

Muriel stepped forward, her expression apologetic. "I am terribly sorry about that. Eustace gets cranky when he can't sleep."

"That's alright, miss," Fred said, trying to maintain his calm.

"Well, like it's true!" Shaggy cried, his voice tinged with desperation. "Like it was waiting for us outside!"

"What was?" Velma asked, her tone skeptical.

"Like it was tall, thin, and it had no face!" Shaggy tried to explain, his gestures wild and exaggerated. Scooby and Courage attempted to assist, their bodies morphing in an effort to visually depict the ghoul's terrifying form.

The gang peered out the window, but all they saw was a blanket of fog, thick and impenetrable.

"I'm going back to sleep!" Eustace declared, turning on his heel and stomping back to his room.

"Are you sure you aren't just imagining things, you three?" Velma asked, her tone skeptical and weary.

"Like, it's true!" Shaggy insisted, his voice pleading.

But the gang, exhausted and skeptical, decided to return to their beds, their weariness overriding their curiosity. Courage, however, remained vigilant, his eyes darting around the room as he resolved to stay awake and investigate the mysterious ghoul.

"Something really horrifying is outside or my name isn't Shirley... and it's not!" Courage muttered to himself, his small body trembling with a mix of fear and determination.

As the house settled back into an uneasy silence, Courage kept watch, his ears perked and his senses alert. The fog outside swirled and shifted, the whispering wind carrying an ominous promise of the horrors yet to come.